iTunes 8.0?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Billy213, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Billy213 macrumors newbie

With new iPods expected this year do you think a whole new iTunes version will come about like with last year? If it did i would like to see a change in the general layout of iTunes itself. Not sure in what ways, just something to differentiate from previous versions.

What do you guys think? What would you like to change/ keep the same if a new version was released?

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i think the iTunes layout has done Apple well and they're likely not going to change it. they're doing quite well with the iTunes and iPod brand and there's no reason for them to mess with that success.

you mention that you want them to change it but you have no suggestions. that seems to indicate that it works well and there's nothing more to add in terms of functionality. i can't think of anything that would make it easier to use; though, i likely said the same thing when iTunes 4, 5, and 6 were released.

as for iTunes 8 - i think we will see it either when new iPods are announced or when Leopard arrives.

3. Billy213 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think iTunes is THE easiest, clearest, best looking music player available and would use nothing else. I would just like to see something to take it to the next level...what that is i don't really know :p but i'd like something unexpected and unique such as extra features or a simple change of layout.

4. Andrew07 macrumors 6502

Steve Jobs mentioned something about being able to rent movies off iTunes, right? I think that'd be pretty cool....The only other thing that really interests me with iTunes is a wider variety of movies and television shows

5. Billy213 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think the UK store even has any T.V shows available :confused: that REALLY annoys me:(

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I don't think it's likely that Apple will make a full version upgrade any time soon. It hasn't been so long since version 7.0 was released and incremental changes have been mostly to support new hardware and fix all the broken things.

The only thing I'd like to see is an adherence to a single look and feel so that iTunes looks as though it belongs somewhere. It looks a bit worse on Windows if you've done some new theme but most everything has its own look and feel anyway.

Feature-wise, it's only lacking compatibility with other players and phones.

7. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Not that I necessarily think it would be a good thing, but I could see them adding "skimming" to Coverflow so that you could drag your mouse across an album cover and see the songs within quickly. Or maybe just make it act more like the iPod part of the iPhone, where you can click an album cover and it flips to show the track list.

8. Aranince macrumors 65816

I would like to be able to shuffle play lists.....but thats an iPod issue.

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The option to down sample on the fly would be nice as well.

10. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

well if they release the radical new iPod that everyone thinks is coming, an update may be in line. don't forget, too, that we went from iTunes 5 to iTunes 6 in just over a month.

11. jakk2809 macrumors member

1 feature I hope they add:

Cover Flow like the iPhone. The iPhone allows you to flip the album over and select a song. For some reason, iTunes can't do that.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That was to make people forget how bad iTunes 5 was. :D

13. Toasties macrumors newbie

Umm, iTunes had Cover Flow before the iPhone. It is the third view in library mode, and the icon looks like this: [​IMG]

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Can you flip over the icon and select a song from the album?

15. Avatar Tempus macrumors newbie

Hmmm

Well I may be new to MacRumors, as a member that is, but I'm no stranger to Apple and I know that their buisness model includes something that most other companies usually don't do...create better, and cheaper products when there is an existing product already on top of the market i.e. the replacement of the iPod Mini with the iPod Nano...the Nano was introduced when the Mini was barely maturing in terms of the product cycle. Most companies would ride a product like the iPod Mini out for years before introducing a new and better product (depending on sales). So you really never know, Apple could be working on iTunes 8.0 because of that business model, not to mention new iPods are of course in the works to correspond (possibly) with the new iPods! It really depends on how you percieve Apple to follow that business model, do they ONLY follow that model or are there exceptions which proves that they loosely follow the model...

:apple:Comments anyone?

I'll Check back tmrw

16. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I just want my numeric bands in iTunes to be at the top instead of bottom (eg. 30 seconds to mars to be at the TOP of my artist list instead of at the end)
    There is probably a way, right in front of my face, to fix it but I'm just too silly to see it :eek:

17. JW008 macrumors 6502

I know this isn't that preferable, but I did it with a couple of movies. If you click get info on a song and then go to the sorting tab, you can change the "Sort Artist" to whatever you want. Meaning simply type "30 seconds from mars" into the "Sort Artist" field as "a30 seconds from mars." It should jump the artist to the top while still displaying the "real" name of the band.

For example when I put the Indiana Jones movies on iTunes--it listed them in alphabetical order instead of the order they were released. I put the Sort Names as Indy 1, Indy 2, and Indy 3.

Problem is that you can't do it for an entire album (at least that I've found), so you have to do it for each individual track. Could be tedious if you have a lot of music you want to sort this way.

18. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

All I want is FLAC support from within iTunes itself :).

19. nlivo macrumors 6502a

i would be happy if they made it so you could add "actors, directors, etc" to movies you ripped to show on your appletv, the coverflow like the iPhone, and thats really all i can think of.

20. Yankees 4 Life macrumors 6502a

agreed, the windows version is crazy buggy, i can't stand it

21. Avatar Tempus macrumors newbie

true

iTunes for Windows does have so many bugs, :( ...Safari is another buggy program by Apple for Windows, :( I like Safari and use it along with Mozilla and IE 7 but I'm waiting to switch solely to Safari when it's more stable.;)

22. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

SRS effects

Built in SRS sound effect (quite good for 5.1 speakers):like MS does with WMP-and they pay the licensing fees, could Apple do the same?

23. aristobrat macrumors G5

Didn't Apple change the layout of Finder in Leopard to pretty much match iTune's layout?

It'd be weird for them to do that and then switch iTunes to a different layout, no? :confused:

24. jakk2809 macrumors member

I know that! duh! that's like the best part of iTunes. What I'm saying is that you can't flip it over like the iPhone. What I want is something like the 2nd and 3rd sorting options put together, just like the on the iPhone.

Double-click on the album in CoverFlow and it flips over showing all the songs in that album, then just double-click to play the song.