iTunes 8.1 isn't snappier but slower

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GooneyBird, Mar 15, 2009.

1. GooneyBird macrumors newbie

.. a LOT slower.

I installed iTunes 8.1 the other night, and have been playing around with it for a while. I noticed that it's a LOT slower on my Macbook, right up to the point of it creating the spinning beach ball of doom.
    Skipping between songs: 5-10 seconds.
    Changing a song in the same playlist: 10 seconds
    Changing a song in a different playlist: iTunes stops responding.

And it's not consistent. Sometimes it will keep on playing for a good 20-30 songs, other times it will crash minutes after being started.

I have Leopard 10.5.6, and my entire library is on an Time Capsule disk. (This has never caused any issues in the past, as long as the disk was spinning, it was as snappy as having it on a local disk.)

Does anyone here have the same problem, or a solution? I'd rather not downgrade, but I will if I have to.

2. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

I had the same problem with 8.1 with it being slower on my iMac G5 then 8.0.2 so I actually downgraded. I got the spinning beach ball for at least a 1/2-1 second EVERY time I started the program.

That, along with it breaking the importing of audio through a third party program called Max for audio was enough for me go back.

I also had everything backed up (luckily) through SuperDuper before I upgraded and I didn't want to downgrade either (never had to before). I'm glad I did though at least now. If you're not happy with it, I guess I would say go with 8.0.2.