Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacReloaded

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
Canada
Hey guys,

I have two iPhones here running 2.1 and iTunes 8 and they can't backup. It gives the error "iTunes could not back up the iPhone "X's iPhone" because the iPhone disconnected." Both phones are jailbroken.

I also have a friend with the first generation iPod touch, also 2.1 and jailbroken, with the same issue.

Could this be a jailbreaking issue? Are there people with non-jailbroken 2.1 software having the same problem too?

yellowmuffins

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2007
I had the same problem after I jailbroke my iphone and replaced the mobileinstallation file. To help solve it I downloaded the mobileinstallation patch file just released for 2.1 here http://www.sendspace.com/file/pcrxy6 . I still got the problem but only for syncing mail, so I disabled mail syncing which is fine since I already have the settings for mail setup on the iphone.

MacReloaded

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
Canada
I had the same problem after I jailbroke my iphone and replaced the mobileinstallation file. To help solve it I downloaded the mobileinstallation patch file just released for 2.1 here http://www.sendspace.com/file/pcrxy6 . I still got the problem but only for syncing mail, so I disabled mail syncing which is fine since I already have the settings for mail setup on the iphone.

It worked. Thanks! :D

ryanwils

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
Still having trouble...

After replacing the MobileInstallation file, many times I might add with many different ones, I still can't backup! Any thoughts? I really don't want to lose all my texts and stuff. I even tried using the original MI file to backup, couldn't do it. Loaded my old backup with iTunes 7.7 and upgraded to 8, tried backup, no dice.
Any ideas? Please help me out if you can!

hawaiipoolman

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
After replacing the MobileInstallation file, many times I might add with many different ones, I still can't backup! Any thoughts? I really don't want to lose all my texts and stuff. I even tried using the original MI file to backup, couldn't do it. Loaded my old backup with iTunes 7.7 and upgraded to 8, tried backup, no dice.
Any ideas? Please help me out if you can!

you should restore, rejailbreak, and everything should work normally. In order to save your iphone sms, You need to ssh in and copy your text message database which is located in /var/mobile/Library/SMS/sms.db on your iPhone. Download that file to your computer. When you restore and rejailbreak, just copy this back into that location.

ryanwils

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
you should restore, rejailbreak, and everything should work normally. In order to save your iphone sms, You need to ssh in and copy your text message database which is located in /var/mobile/Library/SMS/sms.db on your iPhone. Download that file to your computer. When you restore and rejailbreak, just copy this back into that location.

That's a good call... I knew i could export it, I got it on a spreadsheet but I never thought of just replacing that file! Thanks! I'll give it a shot.

ryanwils

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
Just out of curiosity, I'm going to try this probably tomorrow, is there a way to save my Springboard preferences so I don't have to go through the pain of reorganizing all of the icons (as I have like 6-7 pages). Which file should I back up?
Thanks

ryanwils

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
Finally!

Works great, thanks for the tips! Got all my SMS's back and now backups work, and are super speedy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.