iTunes 8. A resource hog?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SouthernMac, Sep 10, 2008.

1. SouthernMac macrumors member

Ever since I downloaded iTunes 8 my cover flow has been choppy. I'm using it on a PC with about 3.5 gigs of ram running XP. There is no reason for this.

Does anybody else have this problem?

2. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I've noticed in Activity Monitor that iTunes is now using around 15% CPU usage on a constant basis. Pretty sure thats gone up a fair bit from 7.7.

Having said that I have yesterdays Apple event downloading as a 750MB podcast within iTunes so that may be upping the CPU a bit, I will post back with any change once it's stopped.

edit: Now the podcast has finished downloading iTunes is using between 5% and 8% roughly. Order is restored :)

3. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Seemingly the Genius is analyzing your library in the background! How big is it?

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

iTunes on windows has always been inferior to the OS X version. I know you're comparing 7.7 on your old system. So lets just say that in the rush to release 8 for Windows by the keynote they skipped out some of the optimisation they would bring out by say 8.7 :D

Anywho, iTunes for me uses about 6% average (from 200%) with music playing. But I'd say that RAM usage has probably gone up about 50%.

5. SouthernMac thread starter macrumors member

I haven't tried it on my mac yet, but 7.7 ran really smooth. I thought I could blame it on genius, but it has finished everything (10,000 songs, 200 movies) and is still slow as molasses. Hopefully this can be fixed.

6. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I'm finding iTunes 8 extremely smooth in general, scrolling is definitely smoother than it was in 7.7.