iTunes 8 and 8.1....can barely close the program.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iammike1, Mar 16, 2009.

1. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I've been having this problem since iTunes 8. I had hoped iTunes 8.1 would correct the problem but alas, I'm not that lucky.

Basically, if I try to restart or shutdown the Mac, it will tell me that it can not and to close iTunes first. When I close iTunes...it immediately reopens over and over. I just have to keep telling it to close, sometimes more then 10 times, and eventually it won't reopen and I'm able to restart or shutdown the system.

Am I the only one experiencing this? I haven't seen any threads on it.

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

You wouldn't happen to have a widget on the dashboard that utilizes it would you?

Such as mini iTunes, or something of the sort? That tends to be a common culprit.

3. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Nope, and I just disabled all my widgets just in case and that also did not fix it.

4. Dogfood1 macrumors newbie

Same Here

I was having this exact problem until 2 minutes ago. I went into my Dashboard, hit the "+" sign, and then selected "Manage Widgets" within that menu I unchecked nearly all the widgets, and uninstalled any 3rd party widgets I had. This included unchecking the iTunes widget. And thus far, iTunes now closes properly, without the spontaneous restart.

Not sure if you took that extra step to go into the 'Manage Widgets' sub menu, but it appears (knock on wood) to be working.

DF1

5. jive turkey macrumors 6502

I don't use the iTunes widget, but I was having problems up the poop crack since iTunes updated. It wouldn't shut down, just like you mentioned, but it also would give me a 1 minute beachball every time I clicked on something, and eventually it would make my entire computer useless, requiring a reboot.

Oddly enough, my problems seemed to have vanished simply by hiding the new iTunes DJ from the sidebar. I went into preferences, suffering a few beachballs along the way, but once I removed the checkbox next to the DJ, things became rather smooth.