iTunes 8 - "Artist" list issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by this1hasspirit, Sep 26, 2008.

1. this1hasspirit macrumors newbie

I have a couple of artists missing from my "Artist" list (with "All Genres" selected). The songs BY that band show up when I select "All Artists," but there is no listing for that band. And the album is listed on the Albums list.
    For example, the Bouncing Souls album "Hopeless Romantic" appears on the "All Albums" list, and the songs show up (and play) under "All Files"--but when I scroll down the list of artists, there is no BS listing. And I do have the artist name tagged in the Info tab, and I've tried changing it to see whether iTunes just doesn't like the artist name.

Here's where it gets funky.

If I take a song by a DIFFERENT artist, and change its artist to "Bouncing Souls", BS appears on the list of artists--and all of the songs on Hopeless Romantic appear under that artist name, too. But when I change that first song back to its original artist, the BS listing disappears, and I can only find the songs on the Albums list. And when I take a song on Hopeless Romantic and change the artist listing to an artist I already have a listing for (say, the Village People), it shows up on *that* list, next to Macho Man.

And the other really great part is, when I select "All Artists," the artist is listed in the right alphabetical order (I have it under 'sort by artist'). There are all the Bob Dylan songs, then all the BS songs, then all the Springsteen songs, etc.

I had this problem with one artist in iTunes 7 and now two artists (1 album and 2 albums) in iTunes 8. All are ripped from CDs I've had for ages. I've tried uninstalling/redownloading/installing iTunes, and removing the files from the library and reimporting them. Any other suggestions?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The problem may be caused by your Sort Artist field. If this is set to something other than blank or the name of the artist, it WILL show up in the list but not in the place you expect it to be.

3. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Exactly. This has caused quite a bit of frustration with me. For instance, in playlists (for movies) I'd like to have grid view on with only a primary sort, and no secondary, but iTunes won't allow that. It's infuriating.