iTunes 8 Bug List

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fabian9, Sep 9, 2008.

1. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Just had iTunes 8 for about an hour and already noticed a few bug. Nothing major but still, it just seems like the release has once again been rushed and it's just not totally ready yet.

- When displaying albums by artist in grid view and hovering over the artwork, the artwork (selected song) displayed on the left hand side remains the same for all albums.

- genius takes FOREVER on first use. This might be normal though. overall it feels like the genius feature is not really as special as Steve would like to be.

I'm sure you guys have noticed more bugs, thought this might be a good place to collect them....

Fabian

PS: Add this one:

- It just crashed whilst playing a song and won't even quit through "Force quit" grrrrr

2. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

3. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Make sure you send the bug report to apple if you are given the option, they can't fix a problem if they don't know about it!
    I wouldn't be surprised if it has been rushed out somewhat, they need it to be out because the new ipods only work with v8.

4. cv01 macrumors member

5. fabian9 thread starter macrumors 65816

fabian9

yeah that's the feeling i'm getting as well...

i did send the crash report. now how to quit itunes when force quit won't work and i don't want to log out and back in? mhhhh

6. reubs macrumors 68000

I've only got a 20 gig library, and it's taking a while to process all of the music. I can't imagine what it'll be like for folks who have larger libraries. I hope this uploads soon b/c I want to try out the genius function...

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

8. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I know, I never use the genre tab, now I'm using the grid view, it's nice, but I'd still prefer list view without genre getting in the way.

9. I'm 5 ft 8 macrumors regular

I'm 5 ft 8

To get rid of genre..

Click on View
    Click on View Options
    Then remove check mark beside genre on pop up menu.
    Should work

10. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

It's possible I am being dumb but where are the import/burning preferences now?

11. TomsMacBook macrumors 6502

At least you HAVE Genius...

[​IMG]

12. slimpunk macrumors member

No, that only gets rid of it in the main window. What I want to do (and what I assume dukebound85 meant too) was to get rid of the Genre list in the Browser window.

In all previous versions, you could turn this off in the Preferences. No longer it seems, and it's really annoying.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Can you post a screencap? I'm not seeing anything like that. I'm not having any problems with iTunes 8. Maybe I'm missing something?

14. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Rather than hovering, try selecting an item by clicking on it.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Do you mean these?

Attached Files:

16. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Ah, as I suspected: somewhere else. Thanks!

17. daverso macrumors regular

Has anyone been able to purchase HD videos yet? I tried buying season 4 about 5 times now and I get a message saying the iTunes store is temporarily unavailable.

18. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Any suggestions for getting iTunes 8 to launch and stay launched? Mine keeps crashing seconds after launching, before I can touch anything. I've repaired permissions and restarted twice. Anything else I should try?

19. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

• Airtunes - iTunes 8 killed my conection to my remote speakers and I had a to add iTunes to my firewall to allow incoming connections. This seems to be a common problem. It all worked fine witn 7.7.1 and previous versions of iTunes.
    • Lagging UI - I have a pretty large library (about .5 TB with some 1500 albums) but the lag in selecting an artist or album or song is really quite slow, and this on an Early 2008 Mac Pro with 8GB of RAM.
    • Crashes and Hangs - Has already crashed and hung at least 5 times. Reports sent to Apple.

20. afultz075 macrumors member

Same exact problem. Happened when trying to get information from my library. I have a huge library, half on my interal drive and half on an external, maybe that's something to do with it.

21. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I don't think my library is all that large, but some of it could be on an external drive. This is from the report I'm getting:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
    Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000008b2074d2

Does that mean anything to anyone? I'm watching threads on several forums, and nobody seems to have any solution.

22. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

browse view without genre.

do get that.

open terminal, and paste - defaults write com.apple.itunes show-genre-when-browsing -bool FALSE

then restart itunes.

to remove the links to the music store put - defaults write com.apple.iTunes show-store-arrow-links -bool FALSE

in.

Thanks to the users who posted these fixes in this thread.

23. afultz075 macrumors member

Same exact error.

I just reverted back to Itunes 7. What you will need to do, and this will only work if you use time machine, you need to restore Itunes from your latest backup prior to the Itunes 8 upgrades AND you will have to restore your folder with your Itunes library files (this is because Itunes8 makes the file incompatible with Itunes7 after upgrading.)

24. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Ack. I haven't been using Time Machine. I was just thinking about starting this morning. Oh the irony. Now what do I do?

[Update: I just tried deleting my entire iTunes folder (first moving my music files elsewhere) and reinstalling. It didn't help. Same problem.]

25. afultz075 macrumors member

Do you have any sort of backup? If you don't have Itunes 7 and your old library files backed up you may be SOL until the next version.