iTunes 8: HD TV Shows, Grid View, Genius Playlists, NBC

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

Image from Engadget
As expected, Apple revealed iTunes 8 today during their "Let's Rock" media event. iTunes 8 offers a number of new features including:

- Support for High Definition TV shows
- $1.99 for Standard Definition episodes
- $2.99 for High Definition episodes
- Genius playlists: automatically find similar songs in your collection
- Available today

Apple also announced that NBC has returned to iTunes, so popular shows such as Heroes and The Office will be available.

iTunes will become available at http://www.apple.com/itunes/ later today.

Article Link

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
Before everyone starts to talk about how disappointed they are - remember Apple doesn't present all the features in these kinds of events. They won't tell you its Cocoa or not, they won't tell you if its got all these new little features in there or not. Same for iPhone 2.1. Just because they omitted saying anything is not an admission that it doesn't exist.

So lets wait until we can get our hands on these products before we start bashing about what isn't there.

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
www.dieburnbot.com
I was hoping for new features in firmware 2.1, but it looks like it is going to be bug fixes again. Not complaining, I just had my hopes up. :)

I can't wait until Friday.

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
Very nice. Could have been nicer, but something is better than nothing.

The price for the HD could have been better, but at least it is there. Personally, I feel it is a bit overdue. I mean, come on. Finally.

thevofl

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
Where was the big announcement that went with the press release? The one that was going to be different from the other events?

balahir

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2006
Sweden
VERY disappointing (although I like the new nano)... Poor guys flying in from the East Coast for this...

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
Was hoping for updated Mac Pros. Guess I'll wait a little longer. This is the longest they've gone though without an update I believe.

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
That Nike stuff integrated in the new ipod touch is hotness.

Bout time they did that. Stupid shoes with holes in the soles garbage needed to be scrapped.

uMac

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
Canada
www.hyperphotocube.com
Not all that I was hoping for...

All I see is an upgrade to the iPod line-up. There is not much that would provide a 'wow' if your thinking of buying a iPhone. Trageting the iPod Touch as a gaming platform will be interesting, but only if Mac's get more games too, otherwise your platform/product will be uneven.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
alright! now i can actually buy tv shows off of itunes (since they are in HD now).

looking forward to downloading and installing this later today

utazdevl

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
That's it?!?!?!

New iTunes, HD TV shows, New Nano, iPod Touch that is the same as the new iPhone?!?!?!?!?!

These get more and more disappointing each time.

OS X Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
UK
I take it NBC (are they big?) content won't be in the UK? Where's our HD TV downloads coming from?

So there's HD TV downloads, new content views and Genius playlists - that's it?

That nano is gorgeous! I'll swap my touch for one right now!!

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
I gotta think they licensed the Pandora technology for that.

But, since the iPod apparently can do it, then they must have some sort of on-pod method of finding similar music, which might mean only things like BPM+Genre or something, which might not be all that genius.

I look forward to trying.