iTunes 8 import CD problem - OS X/Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jungle, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Jungle macrumors newbie

Help! I have recently started having a problem with iTunes 8 running on a Mac Mini/OS X maxxed out with RAM. Over the past couple of weeks, when I import a CD, the import takes forever with the CD drive spinning up for long periods of time. Worse than that, even though I can watch the tracks importing one by one, I never get control of the Mac back again and end up having to power cycle the machine.

When I then restart the machine and iTunes, the tracks aren't there and I have to start the import over again.

I have tried what seems to be the obvious stuff - closing down other programs before importing, stopping SqueezeCenter (the application I run to control Squeezeboxes) but this doesn't seem to have any real benefit.

I hope I'm not doing anything dumb but can anyone suggest a solution to the problem? - it's driving me mad. Having had years of running iTunes without any problems, it's just weird to struggle this way. Oh, just in case it is relevant, I'm running my iTunes library off an external USB HDD, 250GB with about 15GB of free space.

2. kumlina macrumors newbie

3. rspeaker macrumors 6502

What model of the mini is it? Mine had the same problem, but it was a 1.42GHz G4 bought back in 2005.

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

the OP wrote this thread months ago. the respondent is saying that they have the same problem, but with a windows machine. I don't think you'll get much response from the OP now.

5. Jungle thread starter macrumors newbie

Gosh - I had pretty much forgotten about this thread! I'm on exactly the same vintage machine so there could be a commonality. That said, it's no longer happening - I made a couple of changes in iTunes as recommended elsewhere and that seemed to solve the issue. I *think* I changed the import settings to automatically import a CD and also changed import format to Apple lossless. That seemed to work.

Good luck if you are still having the same issue.

6. Jungle thread starter macrumors newbie

Import crashes iTunes on Windows XP

Sorry, I don't think I'm going to be any help on XP. Suggest you trawl Google - perhaps someone else is having the same issue...

Good luck.