iTunes 8 iPhone Backup - Noticeable Difference?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by juice831, Sep 9, 2008.

1. juice831 macrumors member

I have backed up my phone twice with iTunes 8 just to test the backup and they both were finished in less than 3 minutes. Anybody else getting way quicker backups?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I get those from time to time with 7.7. I thought Steve said that the backups would be fixed with both iTunes 8 and 2.1 software, but I could be wrong.

TEG

3. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

4. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Try taking a few apps off then put them back on...unplug your iPhone from iTunes...then back in again and you will still have the same drawn out backups.

My first backup was 17 minutes long and I had changed two apps.

Its not fixed and like the other poster above me...it won't happen until 2.1 merges with 8.0.

5. Loopy65 macrumors 6502a

Loopy65

wow! .. 17 minutes is fast! lol .. I've changed nothing on my phone .. plugged back in after the iTunes 8 update and it's still 'backing up' .. been almost 40 minutes now! ..

Loopy

6. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

LOL...total sync was 25 min because it had to put about 300 songs back on that i guess the Genius updated id tags on.

Subsequent backups after the initial and with no app changes are less then 3 min.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Right. It's specifically mentioned as one of 2.1's features, so I wouldn't expect anything to change much until it comes out.

8. juice831 thread starter macrumors member

ahh ok, well I don't want to remove and add any new apps just yet then because I don't want my backups taking so long

9. milani macrumors 68000

milani

My phone backed up significantly faster this time. Usually it takes between 5 and 15 minutes, and it was done in about 3 minutes this time! Not sure if it was a coincidence or not.

Something else interesting that was packaged with iTunes 8: icons for iPhone and iPod (for Windows, at least)!

Attached Files:

• cool.jpg
      cool.jpg
      File size:
      102.6 KB
      Views:
  10. richg916 macrumors regular

11. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Nope, this definitely has not improved backup. My backup usually takes a painstakingly long time - around 45 minutes. My first iTunes 8 backup is still going, two hours later...

Roll on Friday.

12. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

mine is done twice as fast, mabye after 2.1 itll be in 10 seconds

13. techguy1 macrumors regular

14. cenetti macrumors 6502

I installed 2.1 (touch) and back up time is exactly the same as before....

So again...don't expect too much. So far, it took 3 firmware updates to fix these things...(as I said still looks like the same as 2.02, I don't think it fixed anything).....
    I believe when we hit firmware 2.5 or so, we'll be problem free...

15. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

HELP!!!!!!! I installed iTunes 8 and Quicktime and set it to automatically restart. When it did this, the computer does not load past the Apple screen with the spinning wheel. I have reset it 3 times and waited for at least 30 minutes. Any help on what to do?????? HHHHHHEEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPP me or I may just smash my computer because of stupid Apple and their software!!!!!!!!

16. Neebee macrumors 6502a

Initially when 2.1 came out, back ups were fast. Now, they're horribly slow. I have a few more pics, apps, and also Facebook. It's been 20 minutes so far and I have 4.60 GB left. It shouldnt be this slow and the bar is only about 35% done.