iTunes 8 option: "Use iPhone/Touch as Remote" ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WardC, Sep 14, 2008.

1. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Somebody please shed some light on this Preferences option, which is available in iTunes 8 -- I thought this was only a rumor and not confirmed by Apple to be an available option -- why is it there, and how is it used? Is anybody using this feature or does anybody know about it? I've highlighted the area where this option is available in the iTunes 8 user preferences below:

[​IMG]

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

3. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

It was there in the previous version of iTunes, too. Get the free Remote app from the app store to use it.

4. Bulldog VII macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

I downloaded the app but couldn't get it to work

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

are they on the same wifi network?
    is the firewall set up right?
    did you connect the two together correctly?

6. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

The feature was always there, but the actual location of the settings have moved around a little.

7. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Just a slight correction - they don't have to be on the same WiFi network, just the same network.

8. ttech10 macrumors 6502

What other network would they both be on? As far as I'm aware it can only be WiFi.

9. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Macs connected to a wired network. iPhone connected to a WiFi network (which is then connected to the same wired network).

10. icecold0913 macrumors member

Your computer could be connected via LAN to the network, and you could still access iTunes on that computer from your iPhone (if you have a wireless router, of course).

11. WardC thread starter macrumors 68030

WardC

so this uses WiFi networking and not Bluetooth? I'm using a Mac Pro here that does not have either a WiFi card or a Bluetooth card, but my iPhone would be using the same network via Airport to hook to my cable modem. Make sense? Would it work, then?

Both my Airport Express station and my Mac Pro (ethernet) are hooked to the same 10/100/100 switch which is connected to my cable modem.

12. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Yep, that should work. I have precisely the same setup as you. Yes, it does use WiFi. Bluetooth might as well not be on the iPhone, it does so very little.

There must be something blocking packets between your Mac Pro and iPhone. Do you have the firewall turned on?

13. robogobo macrumors 6502

robogobo

I had no problem making connections and keeping the with iTunes 7, but after the 8 update, Remote seems borken. I can make the initial connection, but can't reconnect later.

Anybody else?

14. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Make sure UPnP is turned on, on your router.

Then restart everything once, just to make sure the devices "grab" the UPnP stuff. Try that maybe.

15. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0