iTunes 8 Visualizer (Magnetosphere) Modifier Keys

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fangiotophia, Sep 9, 2008.

1. fangiotophia macrumors newbie

fangiotophia

Hello all,

I just downloaded iTunes 8 and was playing around with the new visualizer (magnetosphere) that was added. After reading a few articles around the web, I started to test out what all of the different keys do when using this visualizer. Below is the list as far as I can tell, please respond with anything you find!

1) f - Freezes the current animation that is running; all background changes, flashing lights, and things of that nature continue.

2) i - Shows album/song info (standard on all visualizers I believe).

3) l - Locks the camera so that it will no longer rotate freely.

4) m - Cycles through the different animation styles available (i.e. wireframe, no metallic balls, a sort-of orthographic view, etc.)

5) n - Depending on the mode, can enable or disable the background "clouds".

From my tidbit of testing, none of the other alphanumeric keys do anything. Let me know what you find out! After playing with it a bit, it looks infinitely better than the default settings!

2. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

thanks for the heads up. didn't know there was a new visualizer.

3. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

Is this Visualiser definitely Magnetosphere? I ask because I still have that installed, and it looks very different to me.
    Still, it's possible Apple acquired the engine/algorithms and tweaked them so it looks different.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

It's a modified version i'd imagine, that Apple has rights to.
    BTW OP - Cheers! Looks like a lot more went into the visualiser than first impressions show - just going through what different types are available through pressing m - looks similar to a lot of his other work if you've seen his website. Does it normally cycle through the types if you don't do it manually with m?

5. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

i know i may be tread jacking but i was to lazy to start a new tread. i was wondering where in the system the visualizers lay. (and i already checked the plug in's folder)
    i heard you can drop them in to your screen saver folder and use them as an actual screen saver. so i would like to try with the new visualizer.

thanks for any help.

6. fangiotophia thread starter macrumors newbie

fangiotophia

The company that originally produced Magentosphere has acknowledged on their website that Apple purchased the visualizer. In fact, they no longer have anything to do with it except that they are happy it has been officially added to iTunes.

t0mat0: I don't believe it automatically cycles through those...but I didn't play with it long enough last night to find out.

bokdol: If you look in /System/Library/Compositions/ I see the Jelly, Lathe, and Stix compositions, so I assume that the Magneotsphere one is in there just under a different name.

7. lars666 macrumors 6502a

I don't get it how to configure this thing so that it looks so bad-ass brilliant as in the demo video on MacRumors a few days ago. When I use it, it just looks like random effects not really related to the music. I understand that the song for the demo video was well chosen to create an impressive visual effect, but there definitely has to be more behind it. Either the video was modified somehow which cannot be recreated in praxis use or I simply do something wrong ... (or I don't have enough computer power and the visualizer automatically use lower settings ...)

8. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

a - increases the intensity of the "fireworks"

s - decreases the intensity

9. fangiotophia thread starter macrumors newbie

fangiotophia

Hey thanks kgarner! I remember hitting those keys, but I guess I didn't notice them doing anything. I'll play around with it more tonight. :D

10. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

thanks i'll look around and see what i can find.. thanks again.

11. schmoogol macrumors newbie

If you press "?", a help screen appears which lists some different actions and associated keys, most of which have already been mentioned.

[​IMG]

12. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Close, but no cigar!

a & s: add and subtract particles (100 at a time)

+ & -: increase and decrease the intensity

These controls are unchanged from the original.

13. gralem macrumors member

What does the 'Q' key do? When I hit 'Q', the entire visual freezes for a moment. The only thing I can think it does is create a screen shot, but I cannot find any generated shots anywhere in my home folder.

Anyone have an idea of what the key 'Q' is doing in Magnetosphere?

---gralem

14. ADDABAD macrumors newbie

My Artwork Does Not Stay On All The Time

My Album Artwork Does Not Stay On All The Time When Visualizer Is Turned On. Why?