iTunes 8 + wma: Am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PaulFXH, Sep 10, 2008.

1. PaulFXH macrumors member

I have a large collecton of music files in .wma format that I would like to add to my iTunes library.
    I have no reason to believe that any of these files are protected as I ripped every one of them from my own personal CD collection.
    As I'm using iTunes 8, I understood that it's just a matter of adding the wma files to the iTunes library and they would be converted to .mp3 or whatever else I specify.
    However, I have two problems with what looks like a simple procedure:
    1. Going to Files>>Add to Library and clicking on either a .wma file or a folder full of .wma files does absolutely nothing -- no progress bar, no sound of something whirring in the background, nothing and no new files are added to my library.
    2. I cannot find anything in iTunes 8 preferences that allows me to specify what I want my .wma file converted to (if i ever get that far :)).

Any advice?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Some versions of Windows Media Player were set by default to put DRM onto music ripped by that computer, so there's always a chance that they might be protected. :(

You're using the Windows versions of iTunes?

3. PaulFXH thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.
    I'm actually using iTunes 8 on a MacBook (C2D) -- forget to mention that.:eek:
    Is there any other way I can find out if my wma files are indeed DRM protected?

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

If you're on windows, that is the case, it simply requests if you would like to convert them, if you don't them won't play.

If you're on mac, there is no in built wma converter tool.

However, a quick google search brings up this http://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html and I'm sure you can probably get free converter if you really don't want to pay the $20.

5. PaulFXH thread starter macrumors member

Ahh, I missed that:confused:
    I don't use Windows at all these days but I am a Linux user. I have used this great script to convert .wma to .mp3 for free in Linux.
    I just thought the iTunes converter might have been quicker and allowed me to get through a bunch of albums without too much mouse clicking.
    Thanks for straightening me out on this.

6. Cubit macrumors newbie

I was a in a similar position to you when I switched to a mac about 5 years ago, with a lot of audio in WMA. I used s a piece of software called Switch which is free and worked perfectly well.

You will be better off re ripping them from the CD to avoid any quality issues. I have ended up doing this over time with all the WMA's I previously had.