iTunes 8?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mvaj92, Jan 29, 2008.

1. mvaj92 macrumors member

When do you think we will see this? What features will it have? Or, do you think they will update iTunes 7 again before we see 8?

I think we may see-

-Wireless Syncing? (only iPod touch and iPhone at the moment, or maybe an adapter for other iPods).
    -Edit: Seems that Subscription Music wont happen.
    -Perhaps a better integration with the Internet Radio? (Maybe combine it with the "just for you" service in the music store, and recommend songs based on what you listen to).

Other People's Thoughts/Wants:
    -Better Interface
    -Performance Upgrade
    -Coverflow Improvements

Post your Thoughts, No flaming or spamming please.

2. iTim314 macrumors 6502

Not for a while. 7.6 just came out. =\

That'd be sweet.

Never going to happen. When the iTunes Store was first launched, it was launched on the basis of anti-subscription.

Not sure what they'd do there, but agreed the Internet Radio needs work in so many ways.

3. mvaj92 thread starter macrumors member

hmmm, i didnt know that. Any other opinions? Do you think that an update to itunes 7 will be in order, or will they go straight to 8?

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think that we will have iTunes 7.x for a bit longer. It will need to have some major change to go to iTunes 8 and I don't see anything major happening soon.

5. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I believe that wireless synching with touch/iPhone and all future models might warrant this. (although it may never happen)

6. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Huge Performance increases would be nice.

Also some dumb stuff they left out, like why does Cover Flow fullscreen on dual displays shows on the one display, and turns the other black.

Also, it'd be nice in Cover Flow if where like the version on the iPhone, when it was fullscreen, if you could just click the album cover and get a listing of the songs, instead of having to exit fullscreen, skip to the song, then re-enter full screen.

Or like in Windows, when you enable the iTunes taskbar thing (Little tiny set of controls instead of the iTunes thing on the bar), it positions it not at the end of the taskbar, but closer to the middle? o_O

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

That's a pitty.. I would buy a new iPod if it could do wireless sync.

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

9. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I just want much better performance and a better interface.

10. mvaj92 thread starter macrumors member

just a thought... How about skins, or even different colors for itunes? Small-ish update, but would be nice nonetheless

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I hear you and raise you one: I want it to display Cover Flow on one monitor while I still use the desktop on the other. Add iPhone Cover Flow album listings and I will be a very happy camper.

12. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Keep iTunes 7 around a little longer! iTunes 8 will probably spell the end of support for 10.3.9 and I can't handle that right now!

Panther is my favorite OS X, mostly because I've used it the most of all. Not being able to stream music to old and new units alike would ruin my flow of things with iBook G3s and TiBooks around.

13. bloodycape macrumors 65816

I concur, I think the current itunes interface is pretty clunky and slow.

14. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

How about a Linux version! I know I know, linux users are far and few between...but come on, spread the love!

15. rasthedoctor macrumors newbie

A deeper sort function would be nice - like in Excel - so you can specify, say,

Sort 1: Genre
    Sort 2: Artist
    Sort 3: Rating

or

Sort 1: Artist
    Sort 2: Album Year

...then again, if it automatically sorted albums by album year instead of alphabetically when you sort by artist, I wouldn't complain...

16. mvaj92 thread starter macrumors member

I believe you can already do this with smart play lists, correct me if I'm wrong.

17. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

We'll see it with OS X 10.6, only because we will be out of single-digit .x extensions for 7.

18. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

That doesn't appear to be how apple is going, they already have OS X Panther at 10.4.11 or something like that. (it may be .10, I am not entirely sure)

19. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Panther is at 10.3.9, Tiger is at 10.4.11 :)

20. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Sorry, I meant to say Tiger, not panther, sorry, haha

21. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

Wireless syncing is a useless nonfeature if you think about it. The Zune has it, but you actually need to have it plugged in to something for it to work, and even then there are limitations (I think it doesn't sync movies or something). It takes up a lot of power and drains the battery quickly.

Subscription music might be kinda cool, but Jobs always says it goes against human nature, and that's pretty true. I know I would never pay for such a thing.

The radio would be great. I love internet radio, but it's really hard to find a station you like, and it's somewhat unreliable. Maybe they'll do something like Pandora or integrate with Pandora and the Just for You section. And then you can buy the songs with just a click if you want. That would be awesome.

I'd also really like a performance update, and for them to get rid of some of that carbon-like application behavior with all the application-modal loading boxes and stuff. Performance could also use a fix. Skins will never ever happen, so forget about it. Apple couldn't be more anti-skin than they are, and so we have ShapeShifter (which is pretty great you have to admit).

22. mvaj92 thread starter macrumors member

Wireless syncing wouldnt be useless... for instance, my ipod radio dock charges at a faster rate than when its connected to my computer. If wireless syncing was implemented, than i could just update my library from my computer, and go in my room and set my ipod to sync, without disrupting the ipod charging.

I've never heard of ShapeShifter... is it mac only? Edit: never mind, just read up on it.

23. kabunaru Guest

Probably later this year when the new iPods are released.

24. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

I'm pretty much anti-skins, but an interface overhaul would be nice.

25. The Menacer macrumors member

I personally love the interface of iTunes 7. I'm hoping they keep the interface and just add features!