iTunes 9.0.1 Released: Effect On JB'd Phones

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bella92108, Sep 22, 2009.

1. bella92108 macrumors 68000

HAH, you thought the post would have info, huh? Too bad. Actually, if someone's upgraded and tested the 9.0.1 iTunes upgrade that came out today can you please confirm and post that it doesn't do anything to the JB. I know it shouldn't, but you know how these things go. The last one brought back my IT-mandated Password Policy from Exchange, so I don't put anything past these updates.

If you've upgraded to 9.0.1 please post your findings... THANKS!

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I updated to 9.0.1 as it just has some very minor fixes

Works fine with my JB 3G on 3.1

I say go for it.

By the way, I consulted the DevTeam blog first, got a thumbs up there.

You can alway go back to iTunes 8.2 if need be for jailbreaking tools

3. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't see that the dev-team blog has addressed it yet. Anyhow, looking for someone on 3GS since that's the one that's not JB'able right now, to pipe in and confirm. Thanks!

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Just remember, iTunes doesn't lock anything in. You always have the option to downgrade, so it's not a risk.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Changes don't seem to bother the 3GS 3.0.1 jailbreak in any way. Just did it and my jailbreak is fine. :cool:

6. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Updated itunes and backed up my jb'n 3.0.1 3G a couple of times today. No worries.

7. Yell0w macrumors regular

8. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Stock 3.1 3GS (on file with Cydia) here ... I updated iTunes today, successfully downgraded to 3.0 and ran redsn0w ... Everything seems to be working normally. :)

edit: spoke too soon. I was unable to activate the phone in iTunes because after downgrading to 3.0 it was stuck on the 'Connect to iTunes' screen, at which point I ran redsn0w. Since it had not yet been activated, redsn0w hacktivated it and I was therefore unable to access my carrier. :mad: So now I'm starting over. This time I'll use purplera1n like I have in the past - it always works fine ...

edit 2: purplera1n did the trick. Downgraded and jailbroke a 3GS using 9.0.1 - no problem. :)

9. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

How did you downgrade a 3GS running 3.1? Did someone come out with a tool for this yet? :)

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Traditionally just upgrading iTunes has had no effect on JBed or ULed phones.

11. ldobson macrumors regular

I assume he meant 3.01, as 3.1 on a 3GS can NOT be downgraded as yet, until the devteam release the tool which supports the hashes.

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Quote from MuscleNerd's twitter (member of DevTeam)

@ticefish @Limpar33 @Kristofferabild @MrWalkman yes 9.0.1 all checks out, looks fine for jailbreakers and unlockers

Go for it. You can always downgrade.

13. madmak macrumors member

you can downgrade using Saurik's method if you have a 3.0 SHSH on file on Cydia.

http://www.saurik.com/id/12#howto

14. vexatia macrumors regular

Would this work if you had to exchange your phone recently (i.e. after recording your ECID with saurik)? I assume that the phone that you received in exchange for the phone that you registered with saurik, will have a different ECID?

...so sad....

15. FastangV6 macrumors regular

FastangV6

Right, the ECID is device specific (unique).

16. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

:confused:

No, I meant 3.1, just like I said. I had my ECID SHSH on file with Cydia so I edited my etc/hosts file on my Mac (per saurik's instructions) and downgraded to 3.0, first in DFU mode and the second time in 'regular' recovery mode. I then used purplera1n to JB and kick it out of the 'Connect to iTunes' screen. It was all pretty straightforward; the instructions are on saurik's site. ;)