iTunes 9.0.3.15 and Creating Ringtones

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sdot717, Feb 26, 2010.

1. sdot717 macrumors newbie

I have taken the old steps for creating a ringtone in iTunes 8, going from a .mp3 to .m4a and then to .m4r, but once I have changed the file type from .m4a to .m4r and placed the ringtone in the music file in iTunes, the ringtone will show up in the Ringtones folder, but will not sync to my iPhone 3g. Also the file is only 35 seconds long. Any suggestions? If there is any other info you need let me know and I'll tell ya.

2. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

connect your iPhone.

Make sure "Sync Ringtones" is on.

3. sdot717 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

How are you dropping the ringtone into iTunes? In other words, do you have iTunes open and drop it into the ringtones center pane to the right of the music, movies, ringtones, etc. pane? Or do you drop it into Finder while having the ringtones folder open?

5. sdot717 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dropping it into the music, movies, ringtone, etc. It shows up in the Ringtone folder and will play, but when I go over to the phones Ringtone tab and tell it to sync, the ringtone never shows up on that tab or in the phone.

6. macfan60 macrumors newbie

Drag and drop instead of syncing? See step 11

Suggested solution to ringtone sync
    Apparently Ringtones in ITunes are considered music and cannot be synced if you manually mange your music. It you try to sync it deletes all music. If you manually manage ringtones they do not transfer to the Iphone by dragging to the ringtones folder on the device. I found this work around to manually manage ringtones. And this also explains how to make ringtones in ITunes. I'm using ITunes 9.0.2 on a Mac and have an IPhone 3G s.
    1) In music library select the song that you want as a ringtone. The KIND must be “Purchased AAC audio file”
    2) Decide where to start and end it to create 30 seconds of play time
    3) Right click to Get Info
    4) Select Start and Stop time in Options
    5) Click OK.
    6) Select song again in music library. Right click. Select Convert to AAC.
    7) Creates duplicate in your Music list.
    8) Drag to desktop.
    9) Rename file from M4A to M4r.
    10: Import/Add to Library
    11) Drag to Device ICON not Ringtone folder