iTunes 9.1/Vista64: Issues with Apple Mobile Device

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zprewitt, Apr 21, 2010.

1. zprewitt macrumors newbie

iTunes 9.1, Windows Vista 64bit Home Premium.

I just launched iTunes for the first time after installing 9.1. When I connected my iPhone, iTunes told me that I needed to install a newer version of Apple Mobile Device, which entailed removing/reinstalling iTunes and AMD. I remember there being an order to which applications should be removed, so I did that, but got stuck at AMD. I wasn't able to remove it. There was no error message, it just automatically rolled back the uninstall process and quit. I did some research and saw someone recommend using the Windows Install Cleanup Utility. I used that to remove AMD, and it worked. Next on the list was Apple Application Support, which also could not be uninstalled by normal means. So I used WIC on that as well. iTunes, Bonjour, Quicktime, and Apple Software update I was able to remove via the Control Panel. I rebooted, reinstalled iTunes, and when it began the install process for AMD I got this message:

"Could not open key:
    Unknown\Components\DA42BC89BF25F5BD0AF18C3B9B1A1EE8\3F55235DF871F046A8F8628412056EF. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

Got the same message for Apple Application Support. As a result, neither was installed.

Prior to doing any of this, I had disabled AMD in Services, which didn't help. I have since re-enabled it, and it is still running in Services, although it does not show up in the list on programs to uninstall.

After all this, I read in another forum that simply doing a Repair on AMD would solve the problem, but since I am unable to reinstall it, I cannot test it out.

Now I am unable to launch iTunes at all, I get an error message: "Apple Application Support was not found". Basically I need a fix that will allow me to at least get all necessary components reinstalled so that I can start from the beginning.

2. zprewitt thread starter macrumors newbie

3. zprewitt thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anybody have any suggestions for this issue?