iTunes 9.1 won't install

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cawesjmu, Apr 8, 2010.

1. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

iTunes 9.1 won't install on my MBP (CoreDuo 2.0). Software update says I have the latest software, so I downloaded it from Apple's website. After it downloads I open up the installer and it goes through the process, and it says it was successful, but then I open up iTunes again and it's still ver. 9.0.3. I've done it twice now, and restarted and ran disk utility. Any body else having an issue or have any suggestions on how to fix it?

2. traganoo macrumors newbie

Same thing is happening to me on my 24" imac, but the install went fine on my 13" macbook. Not sure what the prob is

3. cawesjmu thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, nice to know I'm not the only one, but I hope we can figure out why it's happening and how to fix it.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

5. cawesjmu thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that. It occurred to me I should try deleting iTunes 9.0.3, which will be my next attempt, but it did not cross my mind to get rid of the iTuneshelper, so I'll try that as well. Thanks again.

6. cawesjmu thread starter macrumors 6502

So I went through the re-install process. Delete iTunes and helper, download, install; didn't work. Did the rest of the instructions on the site, deleting preference and Library files. Didn't work. I would get an error that said this copy of iTunes was not installed properly or corrupt. So I did it all over again, same result.

3rd time, I download 9.1, and it works, or so I thought. It somehow put 9.0.3 back on. So something dorked up somewhere. I'm going to go back a previously un-effed Time Machine day and start from there. It might be time for a OS reintall, start with a clean slate, get rid of all the useless software I download thinking I'll need.

And when 9.0.3 was on again, I plugged in my iPod Touch 2G to charge it and it said I needed to restore it, even though everything seems fine on the Touch.

7. cawesjmu thread starter macrumors 6502

long way around fix

So I have 9.1 running now. I ended up reinstalling Snow Leopard. Gotta love Time Machine and the ease of bring back all the stuff you want. I reclaimed some space and everything runs a little bit faster and smoother so that's always welcome. Not sure what the actual problem was and I wouldn't recommend a full clean install for everyone, but it worked for me.

8. JediMeister macrumors 68040

That is odd that you had to go through that whole rigamarole but I am glad it worked out for you in the end!