iTunes 9.2 and inability to sync iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nüb, Jun 19, 2010.

1. nüb macrumors member

Anyone else getting the error:
    "The iPhone '____________' cannot be synced. A duplicate file name was specified."

This has occurred after the iTunes 9.2 update. My roommate is experiencing the same error. Has anyone determined how to fix it? I've tried rebooting my Mac, my iPhone, renaming my iPhone, and driving over my iPhone with a steamroller. None have seemed to resolve the problem. :confused:

2. ajones46 macrumors 6502

Have you found a solution for this yet? I'm experiencing the same problem.

3. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

Remove iToner. As noted in our previous report on iTunes 9.2 syncing problems, appears that the presence of Ambrosia Software’ iToner software may cause problems with syncing. Navigate to ~/Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-insand/Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-ins (the Library folders inside your user folder and at the root level of your startup drive) and look for a file called iTonerSupport.bundle. Remove it, then restart, and check to see if iPad syncing occurs more quickly.

Turn off note syncing. In iTunes, navigate to the info tab and deselect the option to sync notes, then sync your iOS device. You may need to do this each time you sync.

http://appletoolbox.com/2010/06/itu...e-synced-a-duplicate-file-name-was-specified/

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...me+was+specified"&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

4. nüb thread starter macrumors member

I found this article a few hours after I posted and forgot to list it here. iToner was the culprit for me. AppCleaner wasn't enough to uninstall, and I had to follow the (one) step. Now things work like a charm, though oddly every time I plug in my phone, it "syncs" for about 30 seconds, even though "manual sync" is selected.

Any luck for you?