iTunes 9.2 on iMac g3 DV

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Boots-, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Boots- macrumors regular

Is there any way to edit a plist for iTunes 9.2 beta to make it work on an iMac g3 dv. I don't care if it's sluggish, I just wanted to try something. When I try to launch it a message comes up saying "iTunes requires a computer with a g4, g5 or intel processor.

So is there anyway to get around that, maybe by editing something in one of the plist files. I'll try anything so any help is appreciated.

2. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Try this. I can't because I don't have a G3 to test it on.

Right-click on iTunes, then open the Contents folder. Open Info.plist in Text Edit. Find where it says:

Code:
    <key>LSMinimumSystemVersion</key>
    <string>10.4.9</string>
    Right below it add this:

Code:
    <key>LSMinimumSystemVersionByArchitecture</key>
    <dict>
    	<key>ppc</key>
    	<string>10.4.9</string>
    </dict>
    You can't save it directly because of permissions so do a File > Save As and save it to the Desktop. Then drag it back into iTunes.app>Contents and replace the old Info.plist. You'll have to enter your password.

Again though, no guarantees this will work.

3. Boots- thread starter macrumors regular

No luck, I still got the message I was getting before. Any other suggestions?

4. Klososky macrumors newbie

Klososky

I NEED an answer to this too. This is messing up my PowerMac G3 music server. !

5. sysherm macrumors newbie

iTunes 9.2 on iMac g3 DV

I could use an answer to this as well. I've used an old Blue&White G3 for many years as a music server. Although I would love to replace it with a shiny new Mac Mini, that's not in the budget for a while. I poked around in the iTunes.app Contents and plists for a while, but I couldn't see anything that I could change.

6. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

If I could just reactivate this thread as I could do with this answer too, otherwise I'm going to have to take my phone iOS back to 3.1.3.

7. PepitoIngles macrumors newbie

Me too!

Re-activating this thread.

I have a graphite imac g3 and really want iTunes 9 on there (so I can plug my iphone into it) and i don't care if it's the beta version or the itunes 9.0.0 version because i know 9.2.1 won't work.

Some how folks are getting iTunes 9 on their g3 machines but don't seem willing to share the secret :(