iTunes 9 and how to switch to Mini Player

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Styxie, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Styxie macrumors member

So, back in the day (last week actually) I always had my iTunes in "mini player mode" on the right hand side on the bottom of my screen, just above the trash bin. When I needed to select a song or a different playlist, I would click the green button, apply my settings, and click the green button again and go back on about my business.
    However, with iTunes 9, you have to hold the option key to switch to the mini player. I am severly bothered by this, is there any way to hack iTunes with the terminal fix this? I liked it the old way!

Who's with me?

PS: Also, when iTunes is not the active window, and you switch to mini, the active screen is automatically hidden (like when you push Cmd+H)

2. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

3. Surely Guest

Surely

Why is holding the option key so difficult for you? Why do you hate that key so much? What did it ever do to you?

4. Styxie thread starter macrumors member

Well, it's just, why can't it be like it used to be? I don't get why they had to change something that was working fine.

5. VOGUEx macrumors newbie

oh! thats how u do it!! i was wondering WHY they took it away..though it is kINDA annoying... it was easier before... maybe the next update

6. Hames macrumors newbie

I'm with you!!!

I'm with you!!! I was thinking the exact same thing... I have yet to find a way to get it back to normal. Looks like we are stuck holding the stupid option key :mad:

7. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

They "fixed" it to make iTunes behave more like any other OS X application. The way iTunes behaved was inconsistent with the rest of the OS X interface.

...not that Apple has ever been concerned with making iTunes fit in. (;

8. jbembe macrumors 6502a

I find this exceptionally annoying!! I wasn't aware that option green worked, and had to search a while in iTunes to figure out option-shift-m, which is even worse!!:mad::mad:

9. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

In the 3+ years I've been following MacRumors, threads lamenting that iTunes using the green button to go to mini player mode wasn't consistent showed up about every other month. Apple finally listened and made iTunes consistent and now we will have to see how many threads come up like this one wishing for it to be changed back! Look for 9.1 to have a preference option to switch between the two modes.