Itunes 9 annoyance: every played song added to library

willyd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
With Itunes 9, every song I play gets added to the Itunes library, even if I don't want it there.

I have Itunes as my default music player on a Windows 7 (64-bit) computer.

For example, if in windows explorer, I click on an MP3 file that is not in the Itunes library, Itunes starts up and plays the song (which is fine), but also it adds the song to the itunes library (which I don't want). I don't see any options to change this behavior. Has anyone else noticed this?

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
London
I don't know how to stop iTunes adding the track to the library but if you right click on the mp3 file and select "Open With" (or whatever it is on Windows) and select Quicktime or your referable program. There should be some option to make this the default behaviour. You'll be able to always open mp3's in that app.

Although I wonder why you don't want them in iTunes?

Comment

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
I thought there was a setting to enable/disable automatically adding played songs to the library, but I don't have iTunes on my work PC so can't check now.

Comment

jMc

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2001
London N8, Late-16th Century
For example, if in windows explorer, I click on an MP3 file that is not in the Itunes library, Itunes starts up and plays the song (which is fine), but also it adds the song to the itunes library (which I don't want). I don't see any options to change this behavior. Has anyone else noticed this?
Isn't this the way iTunes has always behaved? At least it always has for me on my various Macs since iTunes 1. If iTunes is set as the default app for MP3s then double clicking will add it to your library and play it. Are you saying this never used to happen? How strange.

jx

Comment

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Isn't this the way iTunes has always behaved? At least it always has for me on my various Macs since iTunes 1. If iTunes is set as the default app for MP3s then double clicking will add it to your library and play it. Are you saying this never used to happen? How strange.

jx
It wasn't always this way. They used to give you a choice in preferences to turn this off. Sometime over the the last few years, they removed it.

I tried looking for this a few weeks ago when something I downloaded was added to iTunes.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.