Itunes 9 annoyance: every played song added to library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by willyd, Nov 18, 2009.

1. willyd macrumors newbie

With Itunes 9, every song I play gets added to the Itunes library, even if I don't want it there.

I have Itunes as my default music player on a Windows 7 (64-bit) computer.

For example, if in windows explorer, I click on an MP3 file that is not in the Itunes library, Itunes starts up and plays the song (which is fine), but also it adds the song to the itunes library (which I don't want). I don't see any options to change this behavior. Has anyone else noticed this?

2. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

I don't know how to stop iTunes adding the track to the library but if you right click on the mp3 file and select "Open With" (or whatever it is on Windows) and select Quicktime or your referable program. There should be some option to make this the default behaviour. You'll be able to always open mp3's in that app.

Although I wonder why you don't want them in iTunes?

3. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

I thought there was a setting to enable/disable automatically adding played songs to the library, but I don't have iTunes on my work PC so can't check now.

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I'm not sure when they removed it but it no longer exists in iTunes 9.

5. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

So I see now I am at home - what a strange decision.

6. jMc macrumors 6502

jMc

Isn't this the way iTunes has always behaved? At least it always has for me on my various Macs since iTunes 1. If iTunes is set as the default app for MP3s then double clicking will add it to your library and play it. Are you saying this never used to happen? How strange.

jx

7. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

It wasn't always this way. They used to give you a choice in preferences to turn this off. Sometime over the the last few years, they removed it.

I tried looking for this a few weeks ago when something I downloaded was added to iTunes.