itunes 9 breaks tethering not just 3.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Lemonsoon, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Lemonsoon macrumors member

installed itunes 9 on leopard... can t use tethering anymore and the phone is still under 3.0. So I guess itunes 9 removes the tethering option NOT just 3.1.

If I plug my iphone tethering to my laptop running tiger it recognizes the connection immediately and the blue bar 'Internet tethering' come up on the iphone.

Looks like I am going to re install leopard and stay with itunes 8. Beware of itunes 9 if you need tethering for emergencies (like for me right now, comcast died about 1 hour ago and probably won t be working for a couple more hours)

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

3. lpnjake macrumors member

works for me under win7 + 3.0 + itunes 9

3gs.

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Works fine for me with on Itunes 9, iPhone OS 3.0.1, ATT 5.0 carrier, and WinXP.

BL.

5. Lemonsoon thread starter macrumors member

Please delete this thread. I was able to connect after playing with the Network settings. I had to create a new profile for the phone. Previously just plugging the phone was enough to activate its connection if there was no ethernet.

Sorry for posting too fast

6. craigtoys macrumors newbie

I need your help!

Hey Lemonsoon

How did you do it? I installed the upgrade to 9 and the tehtering stopped working, I have not upgraded the Iphone OS to 3.1 (still on 3.01). I have since uninstalled 9.0 and reverted back to 8.2.1 and now the device is not recognised at all!

I will as per your recommendation use 9.0 but need to know how to enable the tethering again, I use it daily! I don't care about visual voicemail or MMS, I only need Tethering!

Please let me know how to do it.

Thanks

7. undergroundHACK macrumors regular

This was my experience with iTunes 9 and not updating iPhone

(from a previous post)

AT$T USA Customer here:

Updated to iTunes 9.0 (Mistake)
    I still have iPhone software 3.0.1 with BenM Tethering hack.

I can tell you this:

If you like Tethering, DON'T update either iTunes OR the iPhone software yet. I have updated my iTunes to 9.0. I synced. No problem. Now while tethering and I receive a call, the tether drops. That did NOT happen before. Then I received a popup stating if I want to enable tethering on my iPhone, to contact AT$T. And you have to go BACK into the iPhone Settings | Network crap to turn it back on. It's like a soft kill that iTunes placed on the iPhone.

I've tried to revert to the previous version of iTunes but Version 9 updated the library file, bla bla bla. A previous version of iTunes will not work. I should have made a copy of the library file or backed up. Ugh! So I'm stuck here - with iTunes 9. Tethering still works, until I receive a call. Prior to 9, that wasn't the case. Hope this helps...

I rarely use tethering. BUT when I do, it's because I need it and can't get a signal any other way. And I don't feel like buying a latte or begel to get a silly Wi-Fi access code.

8. cridiron macrumors member

I'm running Snow Leopard + iTunes 9.0 + iPhone 3GS 3.0 and tethering works fine for me.

9. undergroundHACK macrumors regular

Does the tether drop when you receive a call?

10. cridiron macrumors member

Hmm, I haven't received a call while tethering yet. I'll test it and report back.

11. cridiron macrumors member

It drops while I'm on the call, but connects right back up after I hang up.

12. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Works for me. Running 10.6.1 Snow Leopard, iTunes 9.0 and iPhone OS 3.0.1 with the hacked carrier file 5.1. I don't know how iTunes can break tethering?

13. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

I have Itunes 9.0 and can't get my Iphone 3G to tether.:(

14. iMeat macrumors member

My tethering still works, ITunes 9 and 3.0, but I lost my voicemail, is there a fix for this?

15. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Tethering still works decently for me with iTunes 9 and my 3G.

16. MakX macrumors member

Works fine for me:

- 3.0.1 firmware
    - 3GS (factory unlocked)
    - Telecom XT (New Zealand) custom IPCC
    - iTunes 9
    - Mac OS X

17. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

How did you get yours to work??

18. MakX macrumors member

The custom IPCC? Since the phone is factory unlocked you're allowed to load any carrier file you want -- and with 3.0.1, you could enable tethering for any carrier by loading a custom IPCC.

With 3.1 I think tethering has to be signed, much like the firmware situation for the 3GS -- so even though my phone is factory unlocked and my carrier doesn't care about tethering since they don't support the phone, Apple lock tethering for everyone unless the carrier opts in.

Got my custom IPCC from http://www.iphonewzealand.co.nz

19. To-Infinity macrumors newbie

iPhone Tethering

Yes tethering does drop when you receive a call. However, please note, that when you are actively downloading a web page (especially when you have one or two bars) the caller will be directed to your voicemail. Now once the web page has been downloaded and you receive a call your tethering will drop off - as it should do! now when you are through with your call you can go back to network settings and select the tethering once again. I use USB all the time because I use my MacBook Pro most of the time. I also run Windows while tethering on my Mac. It all works. Now a rule of thumb is "what you do enjoy the most?" Do you enjoy tethering, MMS or the features of 3.1 or iTunes 9? Well sometimes you can not have all your wishes so, stick with the one you love the most. If you love tethering just stick to the previous version of iTunes and 3.0 or 3.01. PERIOD! My father has a saying. "If it aint broke don't fix it!" Having said this - iTunes 9 does work with tethering but to be on the safe side just leave iTunes at the older version. And for goodness sakes, don't upgrade to 3.1 sic 3.12 until a fix for tethering is worked out. By the way this message reall applies to US iPhone folks on ATT. Different rules for others. By the way, also if you want MMS be aware that even B's fix can interfere with the tethering on his own site. So don't fix what aint broke. Tethering for many is way more important than MMS. Any questions or concerns post them here. I'll monitor them. This is a new log-in because I don't want to have too many folks ask about my regular log. Enjoy but remember---don't fix what is not broke!

20. lollicup macrumors regular

OP please modify your original title. clearly its causing confusion

iphone 3.0 + itunes 9 = does not break tethering

21. iSpoon macrumors newbie

I keep seeing people get tethering to work with iTunes 9.0... I have iTunes 9.1, MacBook, and iPhone 3G... Please help!