Itunes 9 is a slow -and horrid- mess..

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eightyfiver, Sep 27, 2009.

1. eightyfiver macrumors newbie

eightyfiver

Is anybody else experiencing some horrible performance when running iTunes? I know it's an resource hog, but it's really laggy and unresponsive.. and using more than 100% cpu ....?

(I'm running it on a 2009 octo-core MP)

Attached Files:

2. celticpride678

Are you updated to iTunes 9.0.1. iTunes 9 on my Late 2008 Aluminum MacBook is running perfectly. If everything is up to date, I would recommend reinstalling iTunes and seeing what happens.

3. eightyfiver thread starter macrumors newbie

eightyfiver

Updated to 9.0.1 today.. and it got even slower. I'll try reinstalling it. thanks

4. celticpride678

Please post back with results.

5. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

i also have the same late 2008 unibody macbook. running 10.6.1 and itunes 9.0.1. does it 'run' perfectly? yes. is it is slow and bloated when going through the itunes store? definite yes.

honestly itunes is the worst media player out there. if it wasnt for apple locking the iphone to this crappy app i'd be using something else entirely.

6. eightyfiver thread starter macrumors newbie

eightyfiver

overall:
    Still slow, but a bit more acceptable

things I noticed:
    Opened the "about iTunes" screen, and the scrolling text is stuttering all over the place.

Scrolling is also unresponsive. Coverflow on the other hand is pretty smooth.

They should just really clean iTunes up, make it 64-bit and Cocoa :(

7. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I'm not having any of these issues, iTunes is faster than it was before, on most things.

How many songs do you have and how big is your total library? I have 3300 songs and my song library is 14GB. I created a new library so I haven't added my movies and stuff in, but that brings it to 60GB and it wasn't slow previously.

8. MLS macrumors newbie

MLS

I'm having the same issues. I am running iTunes 9 on Tiger, but that shouldn't really make a difference. The scrolling is very slow, and it lags when I try to advance songs. Maybe it's just my computer, but I doubt it. I have 2GB of memory, so it shouldn't lag.

9. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

[​IMG] 2.4ghz c2d imac...4gb ram..works fine

works fine on my g5 and g4 imacs too, 1.8ghz and 800mhz respectively (both with 768mb ram)

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

So iTunes is giving 110% (or taking)?:D

11. tmofee macrumors regular

since the latest itunes, the poor old pc is having problems too. video freezes now and again :( lucky i have my apple tv in the lounge room. i think it's life's way of telling me it's time for an upgrade...

12. HBOC macrumors 68020

how big is your itunes library? Mine uses like 400+MB of memory..but i have 60GB in music

13. eightyfiver thread starter macrumors newbie

eightyfiver

My library is pretty big, but still.. iTunes 8 never gave me any problems. And I'm running it on a MP for crying out loud. you should think it would just work :rolleyes:

I even deleted most of my movies and tv shows from iTunes and disabled Home Sharing and Genius features...

lol.. pretty much ;) 110% of nothing that is, haha..

Attached Files:

14. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Sorry, but it's quite nice on my 5-year-old G5. Even when it's playing HD video it only uses 60-70% CPU normally. The only thing that's not as fast as it should be is scrolling in the iTunes store, but even that's not too bad.

--Eric

15. mac2x macrumors 65816

Working great on my rig (see sig). Faster than iTunes 8 across the board. Right now, I'm listening to a Beethoven symphony (No. 6 in F for those who are curious) which is a CD rip, encoded in a 256 kbps mp3. iTunes is using ~6% CPU and 62.45 MB of real memory.

16. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

To paraphrase John Nack: "Do you really want iTunes to use more than 4GB of RAM?"

Anyways, Daring Fireball had a good piece on the topic of your desires: iTunes and Cocoa

17. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Works fine on my machine. No problems what so-ever.

18. eightyfiver thread starter macrumors newbie

eightyfiver

I got 12GB in it, so yeah, if it speeds up iTunes, I'm all for it ;)

Good read on your link, but " What really matters are features and user experience, not the developer technologies used to make them." I honestly don't need anymore features in iTunes. I don't even use half of them right now. I just want a fast and reliable piece of software that organizes my music..

19. frogger2020 macrumors regular

I too am hoping that Apple fixes itunes. I am assuming that your music library is on an external drive. Mine is and it is very slow when changing songs or just about anything that requires disk access. You can turn off the option "keep music folder organized" but then you lose that useful functionality. There is a thread on the Apple support site about this issue. If your music library is on your local hard drive, then the performance seems to be acceptable, but if it is on an external drive (nas or usb) then you start getting a 2-3 second wait when changing songs. Itunes 9.01 seems a bit faster than 9.0, but it the lag is still unacceptable.

20. eightyfiver thread starter macrumors newbie

eightyfiver

The music is on a 2TB WD Green drive inside the second bay. That's not the speediest HD around, but still. I don't think that's the main problem. I organized everything myself so that option is turned off.

It seems to be working a bit better now, with CPU usage around 50%, but I keep thinking that's an awful lot, just to play a mp3..

21. Queenredspecial macrumors regular

Same problem on my MBP. Ever since the update, it has been horrible and it keeps crashing on me.

22. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

Mine's definately slower than 8, but it doesn't use 100% CPU. It has beachballed on me a few times though.

23. zemblan macrumors newbie

Worst Apple experience yet

Latest 24" iMac with 4GB Ram. iTunes 8 worked perfectly with my 400GB library.

Both versions of 9.0 have been complete dogs. Hardly anything works. It takes 40 minutes to insert cover art into a standard album!!!

So fed up, looked into Songbird but that isn't much better.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::