Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentCrs

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
I was really hoping for this. I love the new features, but 64-bit would be very nice considering a lot of people including myself have large libraries and 64-bit would make things much snappier.

From someone who works with high-end servers all the time: can you explain how exactly 64-bit will make things snappier in iTunes?

People seem to notice the number 64 is larger than 32 and assume a speed boost. That's not the case. Unless your library is over 4 GB in size (the library file itself), which is unlikely, you're not going to see anything.

HyperX13

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
Most users (probably well over 90%) would never see any real difference in iTunes being 64-bit, so Apple has no reason to rush it out the door. Besides, it seems like a lot of people just want things to be 64-bit to be able to SAY that it's 64-bit without having any real understanding of whether or not it will actually do anything for them performance-wise.

Itunes 64 bit for Windows runs much snappier on my Windows 7 machine. I have been running it in 64 bit since 8.0

23u4cjs.png

Scallywag

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2007
NYC
This.

They're not thinking about iTunes...it's the iTunes STORE that is the key in all of this. They are fast becoming to buying music what google is to search. What microsoft is to OS.

iTunes Store will be the absolute core of apple in the near future if it isn't already.

This is not entirely true. The iTunes store exists mainly as a means to promote the sales of iPods/hardware. It's so successful because it operates at a relatively slim profit margin. The magic $.99 price point on a 70/30 split means that they make less money on the music than a traditional music retailer does (or did) per song, but the amount of money made on residual iPod sales more that makes up for the difference. That market remains massively profitable.

They're doing the same with video games on the iPod Touch/iPhone, and I imagine they'll come up with a hardware platform that will address movies and whatnot, in due time.

It's brilliant, really.

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
This is not entirely true. The iTunes store exists mainly as a means to promote the sales of iPods/hardware. It's so successful because it operates at a relatively slim profit margin. The magic $.99 price point on a 70/30 split means that they make less money on the music than a traditional music retailer does (or did) per song, but the amount of money made on residual iPod sales more that makes up for the difference. That market remains massively profitable.

They're doing the same with video games on the iPod Touch/iPhone, and I imagine they'll come up with a hardware platform that will address movies and whatnot, in due time.

It's brilliant, really.

Oh yeah, I can totally see how they aren't making any money by charging a 42% surcharge on what the record company gets for a 7MB song! NOT!

I bet you believe in Sarbanes-Oxley too.

Gee, I wonder how Youtube.com & Hulu are going to make money giving people 200MB movies for NOTHING? Guess they must sell a lot of expensive HuluPods!

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Oh yeah, I can totally see how they aren't making any money by charging a 42% surcharge on what the record company gets for a 7MB song! NOT!

You could just check out their financials. They post them every quarter.

I bet you believe in Sarbanes-Oxley too.

What does that mean?
http://www.law.uc.edu/CCL/SOact/soact.pdf

Gee, I wonder how Youtube.com & Hulu are going to make money giving people 200MB movies for NOTHING? Guess they must sell a lot of expensive HuluPods!

They don't give movies away for NOTHING.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

I guess you never noticed the non-fast forward-able ads and overlays interspersed inside the content. Companies PAY Hulu and YouTube/Google for that placement which supports the operation. Hulu and YouTube/Google's business model is entirely different from Apple's. Literally an Apples and Oranges comparison.

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
They don't give movies away for NOTHING.

Oh, that's right, they sell ads, on old, third run, played out shows and movies.

Apple has better margins on everything they sell on iTunes than a retailer does selling the same crap for real.

baldimac said:
You could just check out their financials. They post them every quarter.
Yeah, I just read the 2008 annual report. I didn't see any breakdown for the iTunes store. So try again. How does one not make a ton of money by getting 30 cents for every 70 cents the record, movie, or developer company gets, for doing nothing more than sending a file?

chupa said:
Hulu and YouTube/Google's business model is entirely different from Apple's. Literally an Apples and Oranges comparison.
Yeah, you're right. Apple makes a ton of money selling downloads, the other guys just play movies barely good enough so they can sell some ads on top.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
How does one not make a ton of money by getting 30 cents for every 70 cents the record, movie, or developer company gets, for doing nothing more than sending a file?

They do make some money, but it’s not as high as one would think. Most analysts believe Apple’s margin in the iTunes Store is around 10 percent after overhead costs (credit card processing, bandwidth, etc).

Ten percent is not a lot for a company that’s used to making a 30 to 60 percent profit margin on all their other products. That’s why they don’t consider it significant.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...e_a_greater_cash_crop_than_apple_implies.html

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
And what exactly will a 64bit version of iTunes give you that you cannot do with the current version?

make everyone happy. a lot of people don't understand what 64-bit ACTUALLY is.

they paid 30$ for an upgrade, and it was an upgrade to 64 bit for them. so if a program they heavily use is 32 bit, psychologically - they didn't get their $$ worth.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
The "iTunes for Windows Vista 64 bit" is actually a 32 bit application. However the service for the iPhone/iPods is 64 bit and the installer is 32 bit (normal iTunes for Windows uses a 16 bit installer)

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Apple has better margins on everything they sell on iTunes than a retailer does selling the same crap for real.

What makes you think so?

Yeah, I just read the 2008 annual report. I didn't see any breakdown for the iTunes store. So try again. How does one not make a ton of money by getting 30 cents for every 70 cents the record, movie, or developer company gets, for doing nothing more than sending a file?

Here is their Q3 2009 Unaudited Summary Data
http://images.apple.com/pr/pdf/q309data_sum.pdf

There is a line for "Other Music Related Products and Services" that "consists of iTunes Store sales, iPod services, and Apple-branded and third-party iPod accessories." Looks like they are averaging about $1 billion in revenue per quarter. Even if we attribute that entire amount to iTunes music, they are only making $300 million in gross profit per quarter (that assumes no other direct costs, which, of course, there is.) Net profit would be considerably less. Their company-wide ratio, of gross to net profit is about 3 to 1. That would leave about $100 million in net profit. But, of course, they are bringing in a significant amount of revenue from movies, apps, and licensing. So I would bet that they make $50-75 million per quarter on music sales. About 4% to 6% of their quarterly profits.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
make everyone happy. a lot of people don't understand what 64-bit ACTUALLY is.

they paid 30$ for an upgrade, and it was an upgrade to 64 bit for them. so if a program they heavily use is 32 bit, psychologically - they didn't get their $$ worth.

Right - they now have a 64-bit OS, so if all of their apps aren't 64-bit, alarms seem to go off in their brains, regardless of whether they'll ever see any difference between the 32-bit & 64-bit versions of the apps.

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
They do make some money, but it’s not as high as one would think. Most analysts believe Apple’s margin in the iTunes Store is around 10 percent after overhead costs (credit card processing, bandwidth, etc).

And I think that is low-ball to keep Hollywood from knowing how much they really make.

baldimac said:
Their company-wide ratio, of gross to net profit is about 3 to 1. That would leave about $100 million in net profit.
You wouldn't apply a hardware company's company-wide ratio to a downloading service. That leaves about $300 million in net profit. 30% is a fat margin, and it might be much higher.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
You wouldn't apply a hardware company's company-wide ratio to a downloading service.

Maybe you should look up gross vs net margins. Gross Profit is revenue minus cost of providing the service or product. It would not be comparable between hardware and software divisions. Net profit is gross profit minus overhead and taxes. The ratio would likely be similar across Apple's divisions. In fact, I would guess that the overhead costs for a service are higher then hardware.

That leaves about $300 million in net profit. 30% is a fat margin, and it might be much higher.

Did you read my post at all and make any attempt to understand it? 30% isn't even Apple's gross margin. It is simply their cut before all of their other expenses are taken out. And 30% isn't even a large gross margin on software or services. Microsoft makes around 75%.

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
A 64 bits itunes implies no powerpc itunes....they are not going to code a different itunes version for each (32bits carbon and 64bits cocoa)..

So, in my opinion, there won't be a 64 bit itunes soon

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Itunes 64 bit for Windows runs much snappier on my Windows 7 machine. I have been running it in 64 bit since 8.0...

The only 64-bit parts of that version of iTunes are the drivers necessary to interface with the hardware. The application itself is the same 32-bit version.

Why it runs snappier is probably both a result of Windows 7 and the advantages 64-bit bring to Windows performance in high-memory installations.

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
A 64 bits itunes implies no powerpc itunes....they are not going to code a different itunes version for each (32bits carbon and 64bits cocoa)..

So, in my opinion, there won't be a 64 bit itunes soon

No, it does not imply that. The same Cocoa version of an app can be compiled for PPC, PPC64, X86, and AMD64.

They didn't have to rewrite iTunes for Intel, after all.

But I agree there won't be a 64-bit version soon. It has to be rewritten in Cocoa, and there is no pressing need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.