iTunes 9 on a PowerBook G4?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brent0saurus, Sep 13, 2009.

1. brent0saurus macrumors regular

brent0saurus

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone here has installed iTunes 9 on their PowerBook (or any older mac). i have the 1.67 GHz with 2 gb of ram and i'm afraid it won't be as fast as 8, especially because 8 already feels kind of bloated.
    any feedback is greatly appreciated!

2. cube macrumors G5

It works fine on a 1.8 GHz Cube without L3 and only 100 MHz bus.

3. cube macrumors G5

4. cube macrumors G5

Playback: upto 17% CPU (just the iTunes part).

5. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

I loaded iTunes 9 on my old powerbook 1.67G also with 2G RAM and it performs better than 8. Hope this helps :)

6. brent0saurus thread starter macrumors regular

brent0saurus

just what i wanted to here! thanks peter!

7. thfump macrumors newbie

Funny to hear others talk about speed improvements with iTunes 9! Running it on my G4 PB 1.67GHz is slower than molasses. Turned off every bell and whistle in Prefs, but to no avail.

Then I pulled up Activity Monitor, and what does it say? -- 55-60% CPU usage while I'm just scrolling through a playlist. Just scrolling! :eek: No wonder it feels like I'm running it on a Performa. Something is very, very wrong.

Any ideas? / Any tips on downgrading?

8. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Installed and loving it on my 1.5 PowerBook (still the best computer I've ever owned).

7203 songs. Launches and loads up fairly quickly. Even coverflow if very useable.

9. hodgeheg macrumors regular

I'm using iTunes 9 on a 1.67GHz 15" DLSD/high res powerbook and it runs like a dream. The searching isn't as quick as on a more modern machine, but it's still absolutely fine. Music playback has been flawless, and the interface is responsive. Even coverflow works fine. I have about 14GB of music and 20GB of videos. 9 is more responsive on this machine than 8 was on a 2.1GHz white macbook.

I'm weird, so I only actually bought this machine last week. I love it!

10. thfump macrumors newbie

Well, installing the 9.0.1 update seems to have made it as fast for me as iTunes 8 was. 9.0.1 does claim to fix some freezing/speed issues . . .

Hope that works for other people, too.

11. rocketman77 macrumors newbie

itunes 9 + Powerbook G4. No go!!

HELP!!!!!!!

I have (well my Dad actually) a Powerbook G4 running 10.4.0 & brought my Dad a new Nano for his Bday to ween him off his CDs...you can guess whats coming next.

Downloaded itunes 9. Doesnt work on the laptop, says it needs 10.4.9 to run. Tried to update the OS & cant.

Any ideas???

(Yes I know the answer is I should have brought him vouchers :eek: )

12. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

10.4.0?? Does your dad not change the oil in his car either? ;)

Well what happens when you try to update? Are you using Software Update? Did you try to download the 10.4.11 update separately and run it?

13. macsrule25 macrumors newbie

macsrule25

wow. i have a powerbook 64(soon to get macbook pro 15") and it is running 10.5.8, specs are as follows: 1.67 GHz PowerPC G4, 1GB DDR2 SDRAM, 70 GB HD. and itunes 9 works perfectly. btw try searching apple.com for the appropriate upgrade for the operating system.