iTunes 9 random muting

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sfdoddsy, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Sfdoddsy macrumors newbie

I have the latest iTunes running on a PC and a Mac. Both libraries are pointed towards the same media folder on a NAS server via 5G wireless. I usually run a random shuffle. The library size is 160gb.

I'm not getting the classic dropouts; ie a sudden gap during a song.

But I am getting a more than occasional muting of the volume when a new song plays. This can be fixed by hitting either forward or back. If I do nothing, it will also sometimes fix itself when the next song comes on.

Anyone else experiencing this?

2. reubs macrumors 68000

Have you changed any settings on iTunes lately at all? Installed any add-ons to either the Mac or PC side?

I've got a lyrics fetcher that stalls iTunes for a half-second as it gets and applies the lyrics to the song.

If you have a lyrics fetcher running, it might be clogging up the airwaves, so to speak, as it applies that data to each song. The reason there would be a fix with a rewind or forward is b/c the song already has the lyrics applied.

All that said, this only applies if you have something getting lyrics for you! :)

3. Sfdoddsy thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ethical macrumors 68000

I had this problem once, it was a right pain in the arse!

Is it both the mac and pc doing it, or just the mac? If I remember correctly (and it was a long time ago), I think it sorted itself out in the end. Did it for about a week (guessing).

Try uninstalling then reinstalling iTunes... I think this is what I did actually. It's a pain, but if it solves the problem then it's worth it!
    http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

5. Sfdoddsy thread starter macrumors newbie

It's both, which is why I suspect some issue with the NAS server.

6. ethical macrumors 68000

Right, well I never had a NAS system, but still had the problem of sudden muting. Try reinstalling iTunes.

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer