iTunes 9 - Snow Leopard Firewall ask to allow/deny every time.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by netnothing, Sep 9, 2009.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Just upgraded to iTunes 9.0 and I'm running a clean install of Snow Leopard.

Every time I open up iTunes that stupid Firewall box asks if I want to allow/deny incoming connections.

Even if I allow, and verify it's in the list as allow, it asks everytime.

I've removed it from Firewall settings, no luck.
    I've reinstalled iTunes, no luck.

Any ideas?

-Kevin

2. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

UPDATE:

So far a trashing iTunes 9 then reinstall of iTunes 9 is working.

Make sure to kill iTunesHelper before emptying the trash.

-Kevin

3. devburke Guest

Oh man, this is annoying. I’ll try trashing it. Did you re-download it then after trashing?

It’s weird that it’s doing this, since signed applications should automatically be safe without asking (if you have that box checked in Security). Apple isn’t signing its own software??

Edit: Nevermind, just took it off the safe list and opened iTunes, it added itself and didn’t ask me. Word.

4. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

I used the same original download as before.

I did NOT reboot in between. I simply did the following:

- Closed iTunes
    - Trashed iTunes
    - Killed iTunesHelper
    - Removed the dock icon
    - Emptied the Trash
    - Manually removed any iTunes reference in Firewall settings
    - Reinstalled iTunes

So far it's been working fine. Sine the reinstall, iTunes never asks, and it doesn't get added to the Firewall settings (don't think it should since it's a signed app).

Syncing with ATV working fine as well as iPod Touch.

-Kevin

5. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Try closing and re-opening iTunes. I had the same thing happen where the first time it wouldn't ask....but every time after it would.

-Kevin

6. devburke Guest

Wait, if you emptied the trash with iTunes in it, how did you not have to re-download it?

7. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

I trashed it from my Applications folder.

I had already downloaded and saved the iTunes installer .dmg from Apple's site.

-Kevin

8. devburke Guest

Oh, ok, I didn’t use the installer, I just went through Software Update. Aside from that, I followed your method with no luck. I didn’t want to do it through the installer cuz the amount of space the installer said it would take up was significantly more than the amount taken up by the Software Update version. I guess I figured the Software Update one wasn’t universal, and only had the code for Intel processors since that’s what I’m on, and I figured the one from the site is universal.

I’ll try it anyway.

9. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

I'm guessing it should only install the code for your platform....just the installer would be universal.

-Kevin

10. devburke Guest

OK, it actually turned out smaller, and the issue finally seems to be solved.

Long story short for anyone else, using Software Update gives you the bug, using the installer doesn’t.

11. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

No, I have the bug from the Installer. And neither reinstalling nor trashing the Firewall plist fixes it. On we go....

12. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Same for me....I originally did the download from Apple.com, not Software Update.

-Kevin

13. philMBP macrumors 6502

Same problem here. I did a sofware update as opposed to straight download.
    Played with the firewall settings...blew away iTunes signature etc...

Still getting the prompt. Very annoying.

Anyone?

14. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Only thing I could get to work is my list in post #4. Uninstalling iTunes and reinstalling it.

-Kevin

15. sneeks macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the tip, it worked a treat. I had originally installed from the dmg but still had that problem, must have been the upgrade which it didn't like.

16. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I'm also having the Firewall issue. I tried everything listed on here and even this other trick that another MacRumors member suggested to me:

When I run this command in Terminal, I get the following message: "/Applications/iTunes.app: a sealed resource is missing or invalid"

I removed iTunes 9 and reinstalled it (from the downloaded installer, not Software Update) and I still get the same message. Also, the Firewall issue is still there. I've repaired my disk permissions and restarted and it still gives me problems.

Edit: I finally got it working. I uninstalled iTunes, then restarted, then reinstalled iTunes 9 from the downloaded installer (not from Software Update). All is working now.

17. mackiwilad macrumors member

I had the same issue. The only thing that seems to work (and is recommended by the Applecare guys) is a iTunes delete and reinstall.

For anyone unsure about the process, a nice step by step guide from ehow is here.

As always, you should do a full backup before you do any kind of tinkering with your important files, just to be on the safe side :)

18. celticpride678

I solved this issue by checking "Block all incoming connections" in the Firewall.