iTunes 9 Video Stuttering Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mprofit, Nov 9, 2009.

1. mprofit macrumors regular

mprofit

Hello all:

I've been having a major issue with video playback within iTunes ever since I updated to version 9. I should note that the same problem exists with Quicktime, as I've tried to play video through it to determine whether or not iTunes was the issue.

The problem occurs at random, during any video playback (Podcasts, Music Videos, TV Shows, Movies, Movie Trailers, even video previews within the iTunes Store). During playback, the video will suddenly freeze, while the audio will continue another half-second or so before stopping. Both the audio and video will stop, and playback will resume (with audio and video) six to eight seconds later, skipping ahead in the video the same six to eight seconds. Again, there is no pattern to the stuttering; I've had luck where I'll go many minutes without, and on the other end I've had several instances of stuttering in the span of only a few seconds.

I've had little luck researching the problem through Google, and I've tried to deal with it, but it's become very difficult given that I use iTunes for 99% of my media. I'm forced to hover my cursor over the in-video toolbar during playback to keep it up so I can find the correct spot in the video after the stuttering stops. Difficult and distracting, but necessary.

I should note:

- I'm using a four year-old Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, with Windows XP Professional SP3. I've got 2GB of RAM, so memory really shouldn't be an issue.
    - Updating to iTunes 9.0.1 did nothing to solve this issue. Have yet to update to the latest, but I'm skeptical.
    - I've attempted to update my graphics processor's driver, as others with somewhat similar issues have suggested doing such. My GPU, an ATI Radeon, has an update available on ATI's website, however whenever I download an update I get an incompatibility issue. Needless to say, if this is the problem I may be in trouble.

At any rate, I'm hoping for a solution. Perhaps others have had similar issues? I'd love to have this fixed, and would really appreciate some feedback and assistance.

Thanks.

2. roseldr macrumors newbie

I have EXACTLY the same issue

I use iTunes for video playback to audiences almost every day and this bug is also causing me lots of grief.

The video hangs exactly as described above, randomly, but probably about once a minute on average. It doesn't hang at the same spot when the same video is played twice.

I've considered uninstalling everything and re-installing everything to see if something got fouled on the iTunes 9 update, but I know there is a certain sequence I'm supposed to follow. I know how to find it, but just didn't want to go through all the effort if it wasn't going to help.

Has anyone tried an uninstall/reinstall to fix this. We can't be the only two having this problem.

3. mprofit thread starter macrumors regular

mprofit

The problem as I see it is that it isn't an iTunes only problem, but rather with the file format iTunes/Quicktime uses for its videos (be it m4v, mp4, etc.) I've also considered reinstalling iTunes, but have yet to do so given the aforementioned issue and for fear of losing my media and preferences.

Glad to hear someone is having a similar issue, though. It's truly frustrating. What kind of computer are you using?

4. mprofit thread starter macrumors regular

mprofit

Anyone? I would really appreciate some help. I'm planning on upgrading to the latest version of iTunes this weekend (am currently running 9.0.1), hopefully that will help somehow.

5. mprofit thread starter macrumors regular

mprofit

Please someone, this issue is still unresolved. I've upgraded to the latest iTunes and Quicktime, and am still having problems.

I've just watched a 4 minute 44 second video podcast on iTunes and playback stuttered/stopped 15 times! This has become extremely annoying, and I'm surprised it has continued without a fix. Again, this issue only started with iTunes 9.

I don't have any ideas for a fix, and would really appreciate some recommendations.

6. anvendarnamn macrumors newbie

I just started looking here for answers for this one, have exact same problem.. I can only tell you what I have tried.. I have an imac 3.06Ghz with 10.6.2 and Itunes 9.0.2.. All software updates installed.

First I just tried to delete preferences, didnt work. Then I tried rebuilding the itunes library, didnt work. Then I tried to completely uninstall itunes and reinstall it, Yeay! It worked but only for 2 days:eek:. I think the stuttering came back when I added more files to the library but im not sure.

My library is 13600 songs and 2400 videos. Videofiles are .m4v and .mov.

I see you have the same problem when you play it in Quicktime. I dont have that problem. If I go to the file and rightclick > open with > Quicktime player I dont get the stuttering(freeze for 10sec, 10 sec into the video)

What I am going to try next is uninstalling itunes 9.0.2 and go back to 8.2.1

Im gonna continue my search for answers though, Good luck

7. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Are you using a wireless networking connection?

On certain hardware configurations, XP will attempt to "keep alive" a wireless connection every so often, briefly suspending other active applications. Happens to me in Bootcamp when trying to do multitrack music using Cakewalk. Temporarily disabling the wireless connection makes my audio run smoothly.

8. mprofit thread starter macrumors regular

mprofit

Anvendarnamn, please keep me updated on your progress. I'm slightly discouraged that the steps you've taken haven't solved the issue, and even more so given that your computer is much better than mine. I've yet to try anything, other than initially restarting my computer at the onset of the problem with the hope that it was only a temporary issue.

dXTC, yes, I'm using a wireless connection. However, I'm not sure my internet connection would have anything to do with already-downloaded content, which is primarily where I'm having the problems. Audio plays without any hiccups.

I'm still surprised that there has been no large acknowledgment of this problem, given that there evidently are a number of us who are having the *same* problem with exact symptoms. And apparently the problem isn't limited to older computers, or to Macs/PCs. I'm hopeful for an update from Apple.

Keep the feedback coming.

9. cjep macrumors newbie

I'm having similar issues particularly with video in ITunes. A friend suggested checking out the Quicktime plugins I have. I've just temporarily moved the contents of /Library/Quicktime out of the directory (the Apple plugins there seem old - for you you might have different ones) and removed Flip4Mac and things seem better for now - haven't really tried much though.

All this is on Snow Leopard - on a box upgraded from Leopard.

10. mprofit thread starter macrumors regular

mprofit

Can you expand on this a little bit? I'm faily computer-savy, however I'm not as familiar with plugins and such. From what I do know, it seems this could be a relevant issue.

Also, "Flip4Mac," is that software that comes with iTunes/iPhone software updates, or is it strictly Mac only? The name rings a bell, but I'm unsure I have that program on my Windows laptop.

11. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

If it skips in Quicktime then iTunes is not the problem. Does the video still lag/skip in other players like VLC?

12. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

wow what a coincidence, im having the exact same experience recently.

My 1080i 13mbps videos play fine on quicktime x, but stutter slighty (very annoying) on iTunes.

As iTunes uses quicktime 7, im guessing that is the problem.
    But when played through VLC, the stutters are even worse.
    If quicktime 7 isnt the problem, then it must be one of the codecs we install e.g perian, flip4mac etc
    maybe the latest perian 1.2 (dec2009)is causing this problem?

ironically ive only had this problem since my HD has been replaced with a fresh install of Snow Leopard. I dont remember having this problem on my old HD where I upgraded from Leopard!

13. mprofit thread starter macrumors regular

mprofit

VLC Media Player plays my files great, with no skipping/stuttering; playback is noticeably better on one of the podcasts I subscribe to that is shot in 720p, which is great. However, when I try to open a TV Show episode using VLC the program crashes, perhaps due to DRM?

I've never had any issues with Windows Media Player or VLC, even with HD videos. Quicktime seems to be the problem, as videos skip both within iTunes and without it.

Just to clear up: my problem is when video completely freezes randomly, then restarts seven seconds or so later in the video. I'm not having problems with sluggish playback, just this arbitrary freezing that won't stop. This issue is preventing me from purchasing any iTunes Video content, and my Store Wishlist is growing...come on Apple!

14. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

15. mprofit thread starter macrumors regular

mprofit

It works! Disabling Direct3D Video Acceleration in Quicktime did the trick! Unbelievable. I don't know what I'm sacrificing, don't care, but the insufferable stuttering that has plagued me since iTunes 9's release is gone.

For those having similar issues, open Quicktime, Edit>Quicktime Preferences, Advanced tab, then deselect "Enable Direct3D video acceleration" and there you go.

My thanks to everyone who contributed, I can now enjoy iTunes fully once again.

16. wasp2 macrumors newbie

The last tip about disabling Direct 3d helped but not entirely. I found that by going to the Audio Tab and changing the 'Sound Out' down to the lowest rate (33kHz) this completely fixed the problem. It may be that others need to try various changes to Quicktime (one at a time) in order to get the exact fix they need for their own system, but changing QuickTime settings seems to do the trick! Well done last Poster!

17. Jaandlu macrumors newbie

I am having this problem, too. Not with my music but with my video. I have been working on this problem for about a week now. Researching it everywhere and still can't find an answer. I have tried all the suggestions and it's just getting me nowhere. The worst part is that Apple doesn't seem to want to admit that this problem could possibly exist on OSX.

I presently own 865 T.V. shows bought through the Itunes store which I can not play. I am feeling a bit ripped off. Even if I could find another program to play my videos I would be happy. But Itunes has it so locked down that there is no way to watch your purchases other than itunes or quicktime.