iTunes accessed by multiple profiles?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by blackfx35, Jan 3, 2010.

1. blackfx35 macrumors member

My wife and I both share our iMac, and for ease of use we both have seperate profiles set up. This works great with programs like iMail, however, I have not figured out how to share the iTunes library across both profiles. If it helps, I do have an airport extreme with external hard drive......thanks so much for your help!

2. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Move your "iTunes Media" folder to the "/Users/Shared" folder or to your external drive. You may have to copy it, I can't remember now.

Then set the location of that folder under the advanced tab of the iTunes preferences for each user.

You also might have to use the "Add to library" command on the "iTunes Media" folder for each user. Again, I don't remember, I'm afraid, but it should do no harm. IIRC, iTunes is clever enough not to make duplicate entries in itself.

Once you have checked that all users are able to access the shared folder and play their music, if you copied (rather than moved) the "iTunes Media" folder, you may now delete the old one, leaving the other iTunes files and folders in their normal places for each user.

3. blackfx35 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestion....I was able to set the location to my external hard drive, and used the add to library command on my (the original) profile. I haven't gone through the procedure yet to check my wife's profile. Having said that, it looks like each song has been duplicated, but 1 (of each song) has an "exclamation mark" in the far left field (to the left of name), and when I try to play that song it gives me an error "The song blah blah could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?" Looks like I just need to delete all of these, but wondering if there is an easier way vs. having to individually select, and delete (since I have over 3000 songs). Any suggestions?

4. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz