iTunes account help for new Mac (old Mac died)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chokepoint, Jul 1, 2008.

1. chokepoint macrumors newbie

The hard drive in my 8-year old G4 desktop died last week. (The monitor died in February.) I took this as a sign to buy a new Mac, so my new Mac Pro should arrive in a couple of days. :)

My question: How do I restore my iTunes accounts now? I was not able to deauthorize the accounts on the G4 before it died.

The 80-GB internal hard drive on the G4 is now completely dead. I backed everything up to an external 500-GB drive about 3 months ago, and used DiskWarrior to recover as much as possible from the internal hard drive before it started making death rattle noises. The G4 is booting from the external hard drive now with a bare bones system (no multiple user accounts, etc.).

I intend to connect up the external hard drive to the new Mac Pro, but how do I get the iTunes accounts straightened out?

I have three user accounts to restore, and three iPods (one for each account). Most of the songs are in the March backup, a few more may have been recovered during the DiskWarrior recovery, but there may be a handful of songs that are only on the iPods. Can these songs be recovered from the iPods?

What about the whole deauthorization thing?

Thanks for any help.

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 65816

cyclingplatypus

You can use something like Senuti to remove the music from the iPods.

For the deauthorization, it might be easier just to go into iTunes set up the account and then go and deauthorize all of the computers and then reset it up and then add the music you harvested from the iPod(s).

3. chokepoint thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much!