Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carmellom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2009
Is there any way to migrate two different iTunes accounts? I just got a new mobile me account which automatically created a new iTunes account and want to use this one as my one and only account. Problem is that my old iTunes(gmail) account is linked to all the apps on my iPhone and I don't get updates unless i'm logged into the old gmail account. Is there any way around this?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
AFAIK, there is no way to combine accounts.

It's possible to authorize your computer so that it can play content purchased from both accounts, but no way to take the stuff you bought under your old account and move it over to your new account.

You don't have to use your new MobileMe Apple account for the iTunes Store. You can sign out and then sign back in with your gmail one.

Personally, as much as I love MobileMe (and am a member), I don't know if I will always be paying for the service FOREVER, so I continue to use my Apple ID that's associated with my free gmail account.

Carmellom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2009
AFAIK, there is no way to combine accounts.

It's possible to authorize your computer so that it can play content purchased from both accounts, but no way to take the stuff you bought under your old account and move it over to your new account.

You don't have to use your new MobileMe Apple account for the iTunes Store. You can sign out and then sign back in with your gmail one.

Personally, as much as I love MobileMe (and am a member), I don't know if I will always be paying for the service FOREVER, so I continue to use my Apple ID that's associated with my free gmail account.
Thanks for the scoop. Good news is, I actually just got an app update on my phone and all it asked me to do was enter the pass for my Old(gmail).. app update downloaded and installed without signing me out of my mobile me itunes account on the phone. Problem solved! Thanks again.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004

I'm almost certain that your MM Apple ID will stay with you forever, ie: it doesn't go back into the pool of unused accounts if it lapses. That way you can still use your purchases.

I know you can change Apple ID's for non .Mac/MobileMe accounts, but just not to one.

PrimulaVulgaris

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2009
Melbourne
I haven't paid for my MM account yet (making the most of the free trial first) so I can't try this out.

Can you make an alias account and register that with iTunes? So rather than iTunes sending mail to username@gmail.com or username@me.com (which it can't) it could go to username_itunes@me.com?

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
Your iTunes account doesn't have to be a MobileMe account. I have an iTunes account going to my domain address and a separate MobileMe account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.