iTunes account was hijacked with unauthorized purchases.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NameUndecided, Dec 11, 2011.

1. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

So, that was fun.

I turned on my iPad this morning to see a notification message saying something to the effect of: an app was available on my computer but not on my iPad, and asked if I'd like to turn on cloud services to automatically sync things up.
    The first thing I did was say "uh-ohs." very quietly to myself, and then I selected to option that said "no."

Then I checked my email and saw a message from iTunes saying that a purchase was made using my account on a device not previously associated with my name. Then I saw two PayPal receipts from iTunes, each in the forty-dollar range.

So I changed my password with iTunes, wrote a description of the situation to iTune's customer support (though it says it could take up to 48 hours to receive a response), and also filed a claim against the charges on PayPal.

I do not know how this could have happened at this time. I'm pretty mindful and aware of any phishing attempts through email and similar, and I don't personally know anyone who could have or would have taken my account information and run with it.

Does anyone know of any extra steps that I might want to take? I considered dissociating my PayPal account from my iTunes, but I don't know if that would do anything productive, and it would be pretty inconvenient for me.

Right now, I'm just resting with the fact that I've done what I can, and that this should be resolved within the next few days (money refunded, no more unauthorized usage of my account).

I was also wondering if there was a way to see what all was purchased and downloaded through my account. I just know that one app was downloaded (the app that caused iTunes to send me the initial email), but it was just a free game, probably to ensure that my account information would work. I have no idea what was purchased to accrue the two $40+ receipts.

Thanks for any help! I thought that if anyone would have any extra tips or information to give, this would be the place to find it.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

In iTunes, click your account name (top-right corner of the home page) and it'll give you an option to view your purchase history.

3. NameUndecided, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011

NameUndecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you very much, that was helpful.

It seems that this person downloaded a really dungeons&dragons-ee looking game called KingdomConquest (the free app that I mentioned) and then made just over $100 of in-app purchases. When I first looked the game up, I didn't notice the in-app purchases feature.

First of all, what an odd choice. I'm happy that they didn't splurge on tons of other things.
    But second of all -- 'the hell is with people spending over $100 on additional purchases in some iPhone RPG game? I'm not really a gamer, and I'm certainly not into RPGs, so this just baffles me.

I've spoken with PayPal on the phone and had response back from iTunes already. I think that this is pretty much under control and I don't feel all that emotional about it. I think it's more amusing than not. But, obviously, I'm wanting to make sure it doesn't ever happen again.

Is there any telling if they could track down the person who did this, like, at all? Even a general location?

edit: I also just saw that one additional device, an iPad 2 wi-fi, was authorized (just last night) to download my previous apps from iTunes in the Cloud. I don't think that this is a feature that I had enabled.

I also see that they had my address and phone number available to them. And my PayPal email address, but my PayPal password is completely dissimilar to what my iTunes password is and was.

4. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

I use virtual credit cards on iTunes and never have one with more than $20 available. When that runs out, I just add a new $20 virtual card. That strictly limits any potential damage or hassle.

5. NameUndecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ooh. That could be a really great idea. Thank you. Pretty much how I limit (or at least keep an eye on) my Starbucks spending.

6. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

hey, the same happened to me today! :(

Dear xxx,

Your Apple ID, xxx, was just used to download -KingdomConquest- from the App Store on a computer or device that had not previously been associated with that Apple ID.

If you initiated this download, you can disregard this email. It was only sent to alert you in case you did not initiate the download yourself.​

somehow my address was changed to 1325 Caminito Nazario# 49
    Chula Vista, CA 91915. strange.

thanks god i had no credit card number saved but $50 worth of gift codes are gone! how do i get the money back??

7. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

ok, now after a quick chat with the apple support they refunded the fraud purchases. the money should be back at my account in a few days.

i am happy again. :D

8. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1