iTunes affecting Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by VaatiKaiba, Sep 11, 2008.

1. VaatiKaiba macrumors 6502

I downloaded iTunes 8 on Tuesday evening, and since then Mail has been broken. This is extremely annoying for obvious reasons, but after a small bit of research I've found that other people are encountering the same problem. Has anyone else experienced this? Are there any solutions?

Thanks!

2. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

Please....."Mail has been broken" doesn't even give the slightest clue about what the problem could be.

specifics!

3. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry... Didn't occur to me...

Well, since installing iTunes 8, whenever I try to open Mail, it opens the app and window, and after a few seconds dies. I've sent a Report to Apple, but was hoping there'd be a more immediate solution. Especially as I've ordered a new iPod touch and I'm guessing I'll need v8 for it...

4. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

Open the Console app in the Utilities folder and if you can find a crashlog for Mail, post it. I cannot make any sense of them but hopefully others here can. Also maybe try deleting Mail's .plist file? It's in your home Library's Preferences folder. It should be named com.apple.mail.plist.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Since there is no interaction between iTunes and Mail, why would you attribute Mail problems to iTunes? Just because it was the most recent application you installed? You'll get a lot farther by describing in detail what the symptoms with Mail are, and focus on troubleshooting that application.

Did you try rebooting? Did you repair permissions? What other apps do you have running? Have you tried creating a new user account and launching Mail under that account?

6. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I agree. Do the basic trouble shooting before pointing fingers.
    If that doesn't work, then...