itunes - aiff from an ext harddrive to itunes as mp3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mary86004, Aug 29, 2011.

1. mary86004 macrumors member

I have some music files on an external harddrive that are aiff.
    I would like to import them into itunes as mp3.

Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks in advance.

2. mary86004 thread starter macrumors member

thanks

Thanks so much.:)

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

What's wrong with setting iTunes to import as mp3? Or am I missing something?

4. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

My thoughts exactly. if you set your burning/importing preferences to mp3, then select add to library, iTunes will do this for for. No need to use a separate app.

5. mary86004 thread starter macrumors member

it doesn't work that way

I am the one who originally asked the question. I tried what you said. I went to import preferences and selected mp3. This affects a cd that I put into my computer that I want to download to itunes. It rips the cd and downloads it to mp3. What I have is a hard drive full of music in aiff files. I took one of them and drug it into itunes. It still was an aiff file. The difference was dragging it as opposed to importing a cd. I was hoping there was a way to do this without using another program. So far, I don't see a way.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can do it either way. I suggested All2MP3 because it converts many file types, including those that iTunes can't read. To convert the .aiff file, select it in iTunes, then either right-click on it, or click Advanced on the Menu Bar, then choose "Create MP3 version".

7. mary86004 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I tried this. When I right click on the song it gave me an option of Create AAC version. This is what the advanced tab gave me too. I don't see anything for creating mp3 version. Do you have any clue about this?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That option will show "Create XXX Version", where XXX is whatever you've selected as your preferred file type in iTunes > Preferences > General > Import Settings. Change that to MP3 and the option will show "Create MP3 Version".

9. mary86004 thread starter macrumors member

Hey it worked this time! thanks.:)