iTunes: album artwork and CD text

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by c073186, Jun 13, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

If I create an audio CD, will it write the album artwork to the CD as well?

Also, what does the "CD Text" option in Preferences do? I have it checked, but the song titles, artist, etc. still does not show up on a different computer after the audio CD is burned.

2. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

The artwork will only write if you burn as data, not as music. It sucks, but that's how it goes. Same thing with track info as far as I know. It's a frustrating fact. Not sure about the "cd text" though.

3. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Say I manually add album artwork by going to Amazon, finding the CD cover image and saving it to a folder. I go to iTunes and add the artwork. Is that image now saved in my iTunes folder in Music or is it linking that image to the file in my Pictures folder? The reason I ask is that I would like to clear out my pictures folder of album images if they are being copied/stored in the iTunes folder.

4. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Here's are the choices:

A) If you have iTunes "fetch" the album art for you, it's only referenced to the song file. This saves space by having the same image referenced to the entire CD. However, if you move the file to a different computer - no more artwork.

B) If you embed the artwork yourself by opening the file properties and adding it there (whether individually or by selecting a group of songs), it will embed that picture into the file. Some people don't prefer this because it slightly increases the size of each individual file by placing the image in it instead of simply referencing it to a file elsewhere on the computer. If you move the file to another computer - artwork remains.

I prefer option B. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think it takes up that much more space and I prefer the ability to move my files around without worrying about artwork or anything like that. It's just easier in my opinion. I even have an applescript that lets me select songs that iTunes has added artwork for, and it goes through and embeds the images onto the songs.

Enough rambling. The end.

5. mike789 macrumors member

i just transferred my music from PC to Mac and the album artwork was gone. I then told Itunes to get album artwork (on Mac), which it did, but then it disappeared when I opened Itunes the next day?? Any way to keep it permanent?

6. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I've never heard of that happening. You may want to try it again. But once again, I would highly recommend perusing some scripts to help you out (especially the embed script). I was amazed at the power iTunes has with these scripts on a mac as opposed to the dumbed down version vista users have.