iTunes Albums sorting

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by myname70, Aug 23, 2014.

1. myname70, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014

myname70 macrumors 6502a

Guys, I have an Album Collection called Rock Ballads, It consists 3CDs. When importing it (all 3 CDs saved in three folders under one common folder Rock Ballads) - the iTunes recognises it as 50 different Albums, but not one album... Is there any way to sort them as expected - One Album -- including 3 CDs (like some other CDs I imported )

Edit: I made it sorted manually via Get Info menu for each track.

2. bse5150 macrumors 6502

bse5150

I had that problem with a Slash CD. I'm interested in the solution to your problem as well.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

iTunes uses 4 fields to determine which albums sort together:
    • Album
    • Album Artist
    • Sort Album
    • Sort Album Artist
    As long as all tracks have matching information in those tags, the album will sort together. So for albums with various artists, put the individual artist name in the Artist field, and put "Various Artists" in the Album Artist and Sort Album Artist fields. The album will sort together. If it doesn't immediately, remove the album from your library and re-add it.

4. myname70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Buy we have to do it manually , for each sound track ? Is there a way to make it for all tracks, for the whole album, at once? Maybe something has to be changed in the CD folders?

5. Designed4Mac macrumors 6502

Designed4Mac

Try this. http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/41285/tagger. Ive had this problem loads of times and it does a pretty good job.

6. macwatch macrumors newbie

macwatch

"But we have to do it manually , for each sound track ? Is there a way to make it for all tracks, for the whole album, at once? Maybe something has to be changed in the CD folders?"

Try showing the tracks in "Songs" then select the tracks you want and hit Get Info, iTunes will ask if you want to edit multiple tracks, hit Yes and then edit only the fields that you want to change and the changes will be applied to all the tracks. Then go back out into album view and you should have all under one album.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can select all the songs in an album and change those fields as desired. In fact, that's the preferred method.

8. myname70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you Guys! It works now. But I had another issue - I got a full set of The All Time Greatest Songs - it consists of 13 Sub-groups (Pop, Love, Rock etc..) and every Sub-group consists of several Disks (2,3). Now, I am trying to sort it in iTunes all to be in one master Album "TheGreatest Songs" -- inside to have 13 sub-albums "Love, Pop, Rock etc" -- and under each sub-albums to have the CDs "2,3..) See attached . I played a lot, but cannot make this. It puts all songs in one album... Any advises?

9. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

There's no concept of 'sub-albums' in iTunes. I think the best way to organise it would be to have the 'master' album (The All Time Greatest Songs) as the album name, and then use the 'Grouping' field to name the disc group (e.g. Love, Pop, Rock...). As for the CD number, count the total number of CD's in the collection and give your CD a number within that range.

[​IMG]

Alternatively, you can use the Sort fields to tell how you want iTunes to sort your track. Here's an example you could use:

[​IMG]

Or you could name your album 'The All Time Greatest Songs - Love', 'The All Time Greatest Songs - Rock' etc to find the disc more easily. But this way you'll lose the hierarchy of having 'The All Time Greatest Songs' as the master album.

None of these are perfect, but just suggestions of how you could try working around your album setup.

10. myname70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you! In fact I tired adding grouping, but maybe will switch to several different albums names.. will try today