Itunes alternative for purchasing and viewing tv shows?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 10smom, Sep 27, 2009.

1. 10smom macrumors regular

10smom

Hello!

I am tired of having to download tv shows and movies and then having to buy external storage to keep my purchases. I would like to be able to buy from Amazon video, tv shows or movies and then import then to itunes. Amazon video will keep your purchases online and you can download and view when you want. Is there a way to import these type of purchase into itunes so can view on apple tv or iphone? If not amazon video, is there another opton that has an online library/storage system and allow downloads to be imported into itunes when needed ? Thanks for the help! ;)

2. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

All video downloads are DRM-enabled, so you will only be able to view it in specific software or hardware.

3. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

It's a Policy they need to Change, even Sony's PSP service backs up and allows you to redownload your purchase.

4. BobC macrumors newbie

BobC

Backing up purchases...

My solution is to simply burn my downloaded movies and TV shows to disc, either DVD-R or CD-R, and then delete the files from my iTunes library.

Most standard-definition 42-minute TV shows are less than 700MB each, so they will fit on one CD-R. In bulk, blank CD-Rs are about 10 cents, so it's not a big expenditure. By the same token, a standard-definition movie is usually less than 2GB, so I can almost always fit two movies on one DVD-R, and DVD blanks usually can be had for less than a quarter each. Pretty cost-effective, I'd say, and a lot easier than RE-downloading them, and no "waste" of hard drive space.

If you delete the actual files from the folder on your computer where iTunes stores them, and NOT directly from within iTunes, it's a simple matter to copy the files back to that folder from the optical disc later if you wish, and then "remind" iTunes where the file is (if you happen to see that little exclamation mark), as long as the show or movie is still in the iTunes database.

Also, most DRM'd TV shows and movies can be played back directly from the optical disc using the QuickTime player, as long as the computer has been authorized with the same account within iTunes. At least in my experience.

It's a great way to preserve those shows and movies you've already seen enough times, but want to keep for possible much-later viewing. :)