itunes amnesia!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bocomo, Aug 6, 2007.

1. bocomo macrumors 6502

i opened itunes today and there is NO music or folders in the "library" or "playlists." i have about 35GB of music on my hard drive and took a lot of time to create playlists and i checked the preferences and itunes is pointing to the location on my hard drive where all of the music is and still nothing. i haven't updated itunes either, so it's not that. the hard drive is internal and is functioning just fine.

anyone know what the heck itunes is up to?

grrrrrrr (very frustrated with this app)

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

There should be a file called 'iTunes Library' straight in the folder iTunes is pointing to. Without this, or if it's corrupt, iTunes will display a blank library. Is the file still there? If not, do a spotlight search and move it back to where it should be. If it isn't in existence any more, check the Trash. Last resort is re-importing all the files into iTunes. Not as scary as it sounds, but you lose certain information from the library (like play count and last played time).

3. bocomo thread starter macrumors 6502

the folder is there and intact. i can't understand why itunes doesn't recognize it. i don't mind dragging all of the music folders into itunes in one big move, i just don't want to go through the trouble of setting up playlists if this is going to happen again!

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

But is the iTunes Library file in there?

5. bocomo thread starter macrumors 6502

it sure is!

quite a mystery, huh?