iTunes and a new computer

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Alkalidodo, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Alkalidodo macrumors member

I have no problem with itunes,outlook and my iphone 4 but need to change a new computer but how on earth do i transfer my all my DATA(music,contacts,program) on to the new computer without loosing them on my iphone.Installing and setting up my itunes may be easy but how about my ACCOUNT and tones of programs i have on my phone.I DO NOT WANT TO LOOSE THEM!

2. luisadastwin macrumors regular

luisadastwin

Hi Alkalidodo,

I've searched all over the internet...

Apparently there is no easy way out of this... :confused:
    But I hope I am wrong and somebody posts here a easy solution!

I just don't get it because it seems soooo easy!!! All the data is in the iPhone! Is it so hard just to transfer it to the new iTunes in the new computer??

All the data off course: Contacts, Messages, Music, Apps, etc...

Anybody?

Thanks

3. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Actually, it's extremely easy. Which is why there is hardly any documentation on the subject.

1) Open iTunes on your NEW computer.

2) On the top menu, click: Store> Authorize Computer...

3) Put in your iTunes Store Account credentials - the ones you used on your OLD computer (it should be the same iTunes account you used to buy apps on your iPhone).

4) iTunes will now authorize this NEW computer to use the account previously linked only to your OLD computer (I think you can simultaneously authorize up to 5 computers to pair with an iTunes account).

5) Plug in your iPhone and when prompted click "Transfer Purchases." Doing so will transfer your purchases to your NEW computer (including music, podcasts, pictures, apps, contacts, etc).

6) Thereafter, you should have no trouble syncing your iPhone to either computer, or, in your case, exclusively to your NEW computer.

More information: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1848?viewlocale=en_US

4. luisadastwin macrumors regular

luisadastwin

Thanks for the reply Milani!

But I guess it is not a solution for me because I would like to transfer ALL the data (Contacts, Applications, Messages, Pictures, Music, etc...)

The solution that you kindly presented is to "Transfer PURCHASES"... And "purchases" is ONLY what you have BOUGHT from iTunes and AppStore...

Opening the link you sent, you can read: "Please note that this feature only works for items that were purchased on the iTunes Store. Any items imported from audio CDs or acquired from other sources will not copy from your device to the iTunes library."

So this will transfer only what I have purchased from AppStore or iTunes (apps and 1% of my the music) and the rest wouldn't be transferred (messages, music ripped from the CDs I've bought, contacts, pics, etc.) :(:(

Am I correct?

Thank you again.

5. iris4@mac.com macrumors newbie

Haven't tried to sync with another computer, but if you need to transfer anything from your phone to your mac get this little gem.: Pod to Mac it is I hope what you need. Got it myself and I love it.:)

6. luisadastwin macrumors regular

luisadastwin

Thank you for your post iris4@mac.com!

Yeap... Just like I thought... only getting third party software we can handle this situations... And this one it costs about 20 bucks...

In my case it must be "iPod to PC":
    http://www.macroplant.com/podtopc/

One question, does this software import everything to iTunes, making the synchronization and backups in iTunes? Or it has an auxiliary application that can also make it's own synchronizing and backups (like forgetting about iTunes)?

Thanks a lot!!!

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Sharepod or expod can be used to transfer your music. Backing up the iPhone will cause the backup to have your texts, camera roll pics, contacts, etc. You can also sync contacts, and the other stuff under the Info tab in iTunes.

8. iris4@mac.com macrumors newbie

it will either transfer directly to iTunes or you can choose a custom path. Hope this helps.

9. luisadastwin macrumors regular

luisadastwin

Thanks -aggie-,

I'm precisely talking about transferring ALL the music and applications to iTunes AND also to backup all the remaining information (Messages, Pictures, etc.)

In what concerns the Contacts, when I've tried to sync them in the new iTunes in the new computer. I use Outlook to SYNC contacts and so I got a message that the synchronization of contacts would erase all my contacts in the iPhone (because there where no contacts in Outlook).

But are you saying that Sharepod and Expod can handle the music transfer to iTunes and then I can make the backups (SMS, pics, etc) as usual, in iTunes (without any other operation or third party application?)

Thanks again.

10. luisadastwin macrumors regular

luisadastwin

Thank you iris4@mac.com,

I'll take a further look into this application. Can be interesting.

11. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Don't forget to de-authorize your old computer when done - most easily it's done from within iTunes itself on the old computer, otherwise Customer service has to get involved.

12. luisadastwin macrumors regular

luisadastwin

Hi Rajani Isa...

Thanks for the reply but I'm really confused :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Are you talking about the "Transfer Purchases" Feature? Or are you talking about a complete transfer of all the data (SMS, pics, contacts, etc.) to the new computer / iTunes?

If it is the second case (transfer all the data), I just have to de-authorize my old computer and then authorize in the new one and that's it? Everything is synchronized and back-upped to the new authorized computer?

13. milani, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

milani macrumors 68000

milani

Nope. Switch the order.

1) Authorize the new computer
    2) transfer the purchases from your device to your new computer (that has already been authorized)
    3) de-authorize your old computer*

* You're allowed to have up to 5 *I think* computers authorized at once; the reason you want to de-authorize the old computer is so that you can preserve the maximum number of computers you could potentially authorize in future, should you need to do so.

If you want to transfer all of your songs from your old computer to your new computer you'll need to get an external harddrive and physically move the songs to your new computer.

If, however, you just wanted to transfer the songs that are currently on your iPhone (which are also on your old computer) to your new computer, then the Transfer Purchases feature will work.

In terms of contacts, etc, you simply need to sync your iPhone to the new computer. If you select the option that moves the contacts etc from the iPhone to the computer then all of your contacts and so on will transfer just fine. However, you must be careful not to transfer contacts from computer to iPhone - if you do that, you'll wipe your device. The key is to either merge contacts between the iPhone and the computer, or simply move (overwrite) your contacts etc from your iPhone to your new computer.

For pictures, you just need to import your pictures from your iPhone into your new computer's photo editor (or just copy the pictures from the device to your harddrive - whichever works best for you).

As for SMS backups, I wasn't aware that iTunes backed up that data. I think you need a third party app to backup SMS conversations.

I hope that helps.

14. luisadastwin macrumors regular

luisadastwin

Thanks Milani...

In fact, iTunes makes the Backup of SMS and other stuff because, one time, I've lost all SMS in my phone and when I restored from a backup, they were all there!

I've done as you told but here's some tips:

1 - The transfer purchases ONLY works for bought apps and music.
    2 - Syncing did not to the trick at first. I had to make a BACKUP first (also an option when you right click on the device link)
    3 - Transferring music from hard drive will erase ratings and played times.

I used a software called "TOUCH COPY" and I could copy all MUSIC to iTunes (with ratings and played times) and also make some backups to hard drive (besides iTunes).

Doing great till now ;)

15. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

Here's how I would do it:
    - Don't run iTunes on the new computer. Or, if you have already, delete the iTunes folder.
    - Copy your iTunes folder (the one containing the library files etc., e.g. from C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes) from the old computer to the new one.
    - Copy your songs from the old computer to the SAME location on the new computer, i.e. C:\Music\Albums\ goes to C:\Music\Albums\.
    - Start iTunes on the new computer.
    - It should recognise your iPhone because it's the library file that's linked to your iPhone.

As for contacts, select them all in the Contacts view in Outlook on the old computer, and drag them onto your desktop. Put them on the desktop of your new computer and drop them into the Contacts view on your new Outlook. They'll be imported without error.

Worked for me.