iTunes and album art

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Yaboze, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

How come it's just not consistent sometimes?

For example...

I don't really buy CD's anymore, but I have a large and aging collection. Sometimes I still rip a CD that I might have missed or passed on at one time or another.

It's a common CD, that's already in iTunes, but no album art can be found. I'm doing this on my Macbook. If I copy the folder over to my Windows PC, where I have the same collection set up in iTunes (my second authorized computer), it will pull the artwork just fine!

Other times it finds the wrong cover and the album, files and tags are all correct and even correspond to iTunes own entries. I have had a Michael Jackson show up as a Freddie Jackson album and I've cleared it and it comes back! Other albums just show an album cover from that artist, but it's not the same one as the CD or album or even iTunes itself.

I know you can add stuff yourself, but it's just annoying.......... :mad:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've always preferred manually adding artwork myself, so I can get higher quality than iTunes will download. I use sites like Album Art Exchange to get the best quality, and have never had problems with it not working.

3. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

I have a follow up question here. When you download the art, what folder to you put it in and how do you properly back it all up so that if you have to restore your music from a harddrive the album art moves with the music?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't put the art in a folder; you add it to the albums/songs in iTunes. Just select all the tracks of an album, then right-click and Get Info (or Command-I). Drag the album art image to the box in the lower right corner of the Get Info window to add that artwork to all tracks of the album. If you also want a separate copy of the artwork, I use Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes, which is a great resource for managing your iTunes tags and files.

Save Album Art to Album Folder

5. Fortytwenty macrumors newbie

Another vote for Dougs Applescripts, there's a great one that embeds the art work which stores a copy in the music file as well as the library reference file. I keep my music on a separate hdd .