Itunes and Brand New Macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blackxrob, Aug 23, 2008.

1. blackxrob macrumors newbie

well i just purchased a new baseline macbook pro and got the free printer and ipod touch and some apple care for the computer. i love everything so far. and everything is working just great.

but my question is that when i am putting music in my itunes, i have it coming from a different folder. and it says copying music. and i check the itunes folder and all my music is doubled on the hard drive. so is it okay to now delete the music from the original folder and just leave it in the itunes folder??? that might be confusing. sorry.

2. skedealz macrumors member

no, otherwise your source is gone. delete the doubles in your library but not the source file. to view doubles go to view and click on show duplicates. when you add a folder to itunes, it doesnt only add the new files, it cant scan for new files. it adds everything in the selected folder

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, your music has been copied to the iTunes music folder so you can delete it from the other location.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

This is wrong. by default iTunes copies the music files to the iTunes music folder, so you CAN delete the files from the original folder without any issue.

5. blackxrob thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I would say yes. Double check to see if the correct location is listed under Preferences/Advanced/General in iTunes, should be something like Music/iTunes/iTunes Music. If the location is correct and you can play music, I think you can delete the duplicate.

7. skedealz macrumors member

oh my bad, sorry for the wrong info. im new to macs too, with mine they were automatically put into the itunes folder and if i deleted from the source, my music wouldnt play. mines just dif then i guess