iTunes and Breaking Bad question

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Dobbs2, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Dobbs2 macrumors 6502

Has anybody noticed they censor out the bad words. Other tv shows aren't censored. Game of thrones isn't censored. Why isn't this the same across all tv shows. I just started watching Breaking Bad and it's annoying hearing Walt talk and pauses in between conversation.

2. kerr macrumors member

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Do you have an episode & time example? Since BB was on basic cable, not HBO, some bleeping may have been in the original.

I have some seasons pulled from Blu-Ray and the Final Season from iTunes, didn't notice any censoring.

4. Kenjancef macrumors regular

I've been watching through Netflix, and I can safely say that they DO NOT bleep or cut anything out. Was surprised too, since the "s" and "f" bombs drop at times.

Why would Apple do that to begin with? And if they do, wouldn't you have an option to have an "explicit" option? I don't watch anything through iTunes, but it's good to know.

5. salohcin macrumors member

This is exactly right. It's the same censoring as shown on TV when the episodes aired. To get it uncensored you need the Blu-ray or DVD version of the show. I doubt it's Apple doing it(that's just too much trouble), it's what AMC gives them.

6. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

I'm sure that's true, but if it is, they aren't giving Apple the same version they give Netflix, which is not censored in any way. That's poor, whoever is at fault. I would not be prepared to pay anything at all for a censored version of any show or movie.

7. salohcin macrumors member

I agree, however you have to remember there's a difference between Netflix and iTunes or Amazon streaming.

With Netflix you're getting the "home video release" version at about the same time as it comes out on Blu-ray/DVD (which is rated TV-MA on Netflix). For iTunes/Amazon streaming you're getting the broadcast version the day after it airs (which is rated TV-14 on iTunes/Amazon).

Now what AMC should do is update the iTunes/Amazon streaming versions to the home release versions when they are released. And Apple/Amazon should also request the new versions when AMC doesn't do this. Then people who buy it later would get the full versions and the people who bought the season pass could just re-download the episodes.

It's probably just too much of a bother for all parties involved to do this though. It sucks, but if you look at the ratings at least you'll know what to expect (not sure what the UK content ratings are for the show, I'm just basing this off the US content ratings).

8. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Actually, Netflix UK aired new Breaking Bad episodes for streaming within hours of their US broadcast. So the uncensored version was available immediately.

9. salohcin macrumors member

Interesting, I did not know that. I wonder if the UK version in iTunes is uncensored too? Did anybody here that noticed the iTunes censoring buy it from the UK iTunes store?

10. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

I don't know anyone who bought it from iTunes UK, although I do know loads of people who watched it on Netflix. £6 a month to stream it seems much better value than buying it from iTunes :)

11. salohcin macrumors member

Definitely! :) Now I'm wondering if it's maybe a per-country content rating thing. Did Breaking bad air on any TV channels in the UK, or was Netflix/other online sources the only way to watch it right away?

12. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

No, Netflix had the exclusive. I would be extremely surprised if the iTunes version in the UK store is censored in any case, for the reason that it's almost unheard of for movies or TV drama to be aired in anything other than the original uncensored and uncut form. We have a rule where before 9 pm, TV has to be somewhat restricted in language and content, but after 9 pm, anything goes (within reason). And because of the content of Breaking Bad, or say a show like Dexter, it would be broadcast after 9 pm anyway, so language is irrelevant. We basically wouldn't tolerate nannying like that from broadcasters. I mean, if someone watching is so prudish they can't cope with a few swear words, they should just change to another ****ing channel and leave the rest of us to enjoy it, right :)

This is somewhat unrelated to the original issue of censored stuff in the US iTunes store, but back on topic, iTunes has it's own age rating and controls for viewing content. I would expect that to be rated according to the original version, and therefore absolutely uncensored in any way.

13. Giuly, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

:rolleyes: