iTunes and CS Refuse to Launch After System Freeze

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pandapple, Dec 28, 2008.

1. pandapple macrumors newbie

Before Dec 24, I could listen my itune and work with adobe illustrator CS2 perfectly...

On Dec 24 night...I did the software update (which was security update 2008-008 power pc) but I left my iBook G4 open all night long... went to bed and forgot to do restart or shut down after finished download the update...

X'mas day morning, I woke up and found that my laptop was freeze on screen saver mode and "didn't respond"...so I did shut it down by force the power button by myself...

Then, I did start my laptop again... 5 mins later... my whole X'mas turned to collapse. my iTune and Adobe Illustrator CS2 won't open. The icons bounce in the dock and then stop...with nothing happen...

since my dark x'mas till now, I tried many many ways to bring back my life...I did repair disk permission(s), delete preference files of them, and uninstall them. Reinstall them again...but nothing happen...their icons still bounce few times then stop...nothing good happen...

so right now I asking for any help from you guys. Any suggestion? Any how-to solve my curious case?

Many Thanks & God (or whomever you want) bless.

p.s. my ibook G4 is 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4 with Mac OS 10.4.11

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

In the case of failed software updates, operating system files often become corrupted. Insert your Tiger install disks and choose to do an archive & install while preserving user and network settings. Once the install is finished, run Software Update again and you should be good to go. It takes a bit of time and inconvenience, but should get you sorted. You may have to reinstall some applications, but I've never had to do so, and even CS3 works fine after an archive & install.

3. Salmar macrumors regular

A couple of weeks ago when version 1.0.5.6 appeared in software update, I downloaded it and then tried to install it and no go! I got this message:

"Installation had Errors

The following install step failed: run preinstall script for Mac OS X UPD 1056. Contact software mfg. for assistance."

Now I am new to Mac and I tried the download thru versiontracker, it went thru the whole download again and I got the same message. I called tech support and the guy said that he hadn't heard of that message before nor did anyone else in tech support it seemed. Well anyway he walked me thru an archive and install which took a very long time. When it was done I downloaded the 1056 update again 700MB +, I guess that was the combo to redownload all of the updates since I had bought the computer last January. Well anyway it worked out good, got the update, didn't lose any programs. I think I just learned how to do an archive and install now. <G> But to why the problem started which I never had before when doing updates, I don't know.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Sometimes the install just fails. Sadly, if it's partway through installing or modifying files, it can lead to operating system issues.

5. Salmar macrumors regular

Thanks for responding Blue. The computer was working fine all along but it was just that I could not download any updates from Apple only. Program downloads and updates was not affected with this problem. Although I am sure when other Apple software updates fail not all would require an archive and install. I have no idea what could have screwed up because as a new Mac owner I try to be very cautious and careful what I am doing. Hopefully I won't have to go through that again. Thanks!

6. pandapple thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Blue,
    I have only 40 GB in my ibook and right now i used about 35 GB. When I started to do "Achive & Install", I have to waste 11 GB for the previous system, is that right? Do i need to back up all my files too?

Thank you very much for your help :eek:

7. Salmar macrumors regular

pandapple, what I did I put the old archive into the trash and waited a few days to make sure everything was fine and dandy, and then I emptied the trash and reclaimed 11 GB's or so. That was my first archive and install with the help of tech support over the phone.

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

During your reinstall, I also suggest doing a custom install and deselecting every option except those you use. I install it with nothing but the barebones. If you want another feature later, you can install it directly from the install DVD after the fact. This will save you ~4 GiB if memory serves.

No, your computer's system files will be deleted. If it doesn't have enough room for the archive & install, you will be informed during the setup process.

9. Salmar macrumors regular

I also will keep that "custom install" in mind if I ever have to do another archive and install again. Hopefully I won't have to for a long time.
    Good point BlueRevolution you made about the custom install thing. Thanks!