Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McJohnston

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
Is it possible to burn an Audio DVD with Itunes? I have a DVD player which is compatible with this feature and would like to do this rather than burn tons of CDs to use in my main audio system. I could do a MP3 CD... but alas everything is copyrighted from the music store, so no conversion is allowed... to make pain in the side for anyone who doesn't want to use their IPod everywhere (For audio systems etc...) (There are things I've tried such as faad2 or Jhymn but to my findings Itunes 4.7 has broken any type of compatibility)

Another question that is hardware related... Airtunes is another option but do you need tobuy the airport extreme base etc...? I have the Imac g5 20" and I would find it ridiculous to spend $ for wireless capability for a desktop.

If there are any other options to play music off of your main audio system without having to burn many cds (Other than using a very long audio cord from the headphone jack) the input would be appreciated

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
well, i could not really answer your software question. but i can answer your hardware question.

you would only have to buy the AirPort Express. you do not need to buy the AirPort Extreme Base Station.

re: if one can burn an audio dvd instead of an audio cd. interesting question. tell me about it, once you try it out. i don't care much for burning an "audio dvd" or "mp3 dvd" because i connect to my stereo with AirTunes, i play my cds which i bought or i connect my iPod.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Airport Express works all by itself, no base station needed. For the same price you could also get a set of decent iPod speakers... Just another option.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
McJohnston Is it possible to burn an Audio DVD with Itunes? I have a DVD player which is compatible with this feature and would like to do this rather than burn tons of CDs to use in my main audio system.
My Q's for you are have you tried to burn any to a dvd? I backup my music on dvds but I have never tried to play them in a dvd/music player as of yet. Later in the week I plan on backing everything up again and I can let you know the out come, sorry can't help sooner. :eek:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Answers to various questions:
  1. iTunes cannot burn a DVD-AUDIO format DVD.
  2. The AirPort Express can be connected via ethernet and your system can can talk to it over ethernet.
  3. Roku Labs SoundBridge can also do what you want. And there are a few more similar options like the SoundBridge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.