iTunes and External Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Chandler Adaway, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Hi everyone.
    I'm buying a used black macbook soon for only 600!
    Little outdated, but here are the specs.
    2ghz core2duo, 1.25 gb ram (How much can I get into there?), and 80gb hard drive.

The only thing I'm honestly worried about is having enough space on the hard drive.
    Most of my space deminishes with all of my iTunes music. Is there a way to have all my music on an external hard drive but still have all my music listed and used in iTunes?

Also, same thing with pictures.
    Can I have them all on an external drive but also have them organized in iPhoto?
    Thanks

2. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

I have a 1.83 mini with an 80 GB HD partitioned for Bootcamp. So needless to say-I don't have much internal room. Can't help you much with iPhoto-don't use it but...

All my itunes music is on an external Newertech ministack.

Not too hard to do-you move it from the /user/music/itunes directory-which is the default to your external hard drive. I just set up an itunes directory.

If you move the WHOLE folder it should also move the itunes library.xml file and the itunes music database file with it.

Once this is done, you just use the itunes "import: command under the file menu-and point it to the itunes directory.

Alternatively, you can use the itunes menu/preferences/advanced/general and point to the music folder from there.

3. Chandler Adaway thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Awesome, thanks for the help. Seems easy enough.

I hope it's that easy for iPhoto.

4. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

Ive looked through out iphoto and cant find a thing and this is iphoto 08, so i dont think u can, how ever its very easy to switch the hd out for a new one if u didnt buy a ext hd or dont have one... and for ram only 2gb for the core duo's so just buy another 1gb stick if u can find one seperate

5. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

You can do it with iPhoto. Move the iPhoto library to the external drive. When you launch iPhoto, it will ask you to locate the library or create a new one. Browse to it, and you should be good.

I actually maintain two separate library. One in my Pictures folder, the other on a thumb drive that I only use occasionally. In my experience, iPhoto will remember the location of the most recently opened library.

6. Chandler Adaway thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Awesome! This makes me happy as I have 10-20 gb's of pictures.
    That's a lot on a 80gb "budget".

Thanks for the help.

7. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

By the way, $600 for that Macbook is a great price-I paid $1,100 for my black 2.2 with 1GB RAM and 160 GB hard drive and thought it was a great price! You can actually make the RAM 4 Gb for less than $100-See newegg.com or macsales.com

8. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i thought the core duos only can get 2gb..... but who ever said the thing with iphoto thank YOU i didnt know it was easy as that