Itunes and External Hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by csjxx, Oct 23, 2009.

1. csjxx macrumors member

Hey,

Im still pretty new to Apple and getting the hang of it.

At the moment most of my music is either stored on my Macbook or on an external hard drive. Is it possible to transfer all my music and videos to an external hard drive and then sync it with Itune so that every time I plug it in I can access them?

Thanks very much!

2. phormality macrumors newbie

You can move your iTunes folder (in your Music folder) Anywhere you want. Hold down Option when opening iTunes to select where the library is located.

Also, in the advanced pref make sure the path to your library is correct for adding new music to make sure it ends up in the right place.

If your music is scatter around, check the boxes for keeping the iTunes folder organized and copy files into the iTunes folder (I think this is the default setting), then choose File>Library>Organize Library and check the box to Consolidate Library. It will copy everything into your iTunes folder so it is all in 1 place

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, you DON'T want to check those! If you want to keep your music on an external drive, you don't want it copied to your internal drive. Leave those unchecked, so you can keep control over where your music is located. Just point your iTunes folder to the location on the external drive.

4. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Holding down Option will let you choose or create *another* iTunes library, which you may not want.

If you want to move everything in iTunes to your external drive, go to iTunes Preferences/Advanced and click on the Change button to choose a new iTunes folder location.

If you have the other two boxes checked in that section (Copy and Keep), then iTunes will move all the files from your old location to your new location when you choose Consolidate Library.

You should remember to not start iTunes when your external disk is not connected - it will create a new library in the default location. If you forget, just close iTunes and connect your drive and restart iTunes. It should detect that your external library is back and recover.

A.

5. csjxx thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys for the quick response! Hopefully this will make my Macbook run a lot quicker!

One more question... Is the Itunes folder located in my music a duplicated copy of the actual file i have downloaded? So could I delete the the files located in my downloads?

thanks again!

6. csjxx thread starter macrumors member

7. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

What do you mean? If you've downloaded music from somewhere online to say your desktop and then imported it into iTunes then you can delete the downloaded file from your desktop as it will have been copied into the iTunes Music folder.

If you're talking about downloads from the iTunes store then the files in your iTunes Music folder are your only copies.