Itunes and External HD Nightmare

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ScKaSx, Jan 6, 2008.

1. ScKaSx macrumors regular

Hi All,

So I thought saving songs on an external HD wasn't such a big issue, well so far it has been. Here's the situation:

About a year ago I transferred my itunes folder (including itunes library, albumn artwork, itunes music folder, etc.) into my external HD. When I did this I changed my itunes library location to the HD and it opened up my itunes library WITH everything where it should be (albumns, ratings, etc.)

Last week, I was upgrading my computer to Tiger and so to prepare for this I wanted to update the itunes library on my external HD since I had added music to my library since a year before. I read up on the CONSOLIDATE LIBRRARY option and thought I knew what I was doing. I changed the location of my itunes library and ran the consolidate option. This successfully transferred the new music into the 'itunes music folder' on my external HD (This I checked!).

However, upon clean installing tiger on my mac and running itunes 7.5 using the 'itunes music folder' as the location for music. Nothing is loaded into the library. No music is shown in my library, and albumns aren't shown. I know that the music is on the external HD but somehow itunes doesn't know how to organize it (which I thought the itunes library file would know how to do). I can drag the music from the external HD into itunes but for some reason it says copying music and takes along time to load. I figured that it would be somewhat instantaneous since its just reading info from the external HD. Plus with this method the music isn't organized into albums as it was before. Somewhere somehow I messed up!

Any ideas on what happened, and how I can fix it in the future?
    In addition, and this is a long shot, would I still be able to open the music on my external HD with albumns, ratings, etc intact?

Cheers and thanks for the help,
    ScKaSx
    iMac G4 17" (Sunflower) 10.4.11 Itunes 7.5 (iLife 08')

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Is there still a LIbrary file on your external?

If so, open up iTunes with the alt key pressed. It will then ask you to select a library. Choose the one on your external and see what happens.