iTunes and extrnal HDD libraries.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by VideoBeagle, Sep 25, 2013.

1. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

I have many many mp3s, organized and archived on an external hard drive.

What I would like is to have these MP3s show up in iTunes when the hard drive is hooked up, and preferably not when the drive isn't there, all while having the local library there as well.

Is this a possibility?

I've only begun researching this, and found ways of having the entire iTunes library be on a separate drive.
    I'm wondering if maybe sym-links rather than aliases may get me there.

I could also set up an applescript to swap libraries, I guess, but I'd rather it all be automatic if possible.

Thoughts?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. VideoBeagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't that method, with the red !'s when the drive isn't there, cause those tracks to be skipped next time the drive is plugged in and you're using like shuffle mode?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When you're ready to plug in the external drive, quit iTunes, then attach the drive and make sure it's mounted properly, then launch iTunes. iTunes will automatically find those "missing" tracks.

5. VideoBeagle, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013

VideoBeagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ahhh. Awesome to know! Thanks!

EDIT: And tested last night and worked just about as good as I could hope for. (I'd love it to show songs only when they're there, but that's more than it's capable of.)