iTunes and Front Row video file integration Best practice advice!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mobcdi, Mar 2, 2008.

1. mobcdi Guest

I'm a new convert to the world of Mac OS X so please bear with me if this is a simple question everyone knows already but I'm finding it hard to get an integrated view across iTunes and FrontRow on my Mac.

I would like to be able to view all supported video's in both iTunes and FrontRow but am finding it difficult to have only 1 copy of a media file but have it visible in iTunes and FrontRow.

I ripped a dvd using handbrake and used MetaX to add meta data (albumart, rating, genre etc) to the file. Copied the mp4 file to the movies folder and the file is visible in FrontRow but not in Itunes. Also the album art thats added by MetaX isn't shown in on FrontRow.

When i drag and drop the mp4 file to iTunes it gets copied to the music library and the album art is displayed but FrontRow doesn't know anything about it. Obviously i would like to avoid having multiple copies of the same file just to sync 2 applications from the same software company

Can people suggest the best methods to have 1 copy of mp4 files visible to both iTunes and FrontRow including Album art and other meta data?

Also would like to avoid filling up my local drive with videos as i increase my library

My Current software versions are
    OSX 10.5.2
    iTunes version 7.6.1
    Front Row 2.1.2
    Perian plugin for QuickTime
    Handbrake latest version
    MetaX latest version

2. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi!

First of all, go to iTunes Preferences > Advanced and uncheck Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to Library. No more duplicates. iTunes then will only "link" to the file on the hard drive (i.e. your Movies folder).

For an item to be visible in iTunes (and Front Row) you need to add it to the iTunes Library (iTunes does not automatically detect what's in, say your movies folder).

In iTunes, edit Information and Artwork, so it also shows up in Front Row.

Hope this was helpful.

/Rupert

3. mobcdi thread starter Guest

Thank you for that, i knew it had to be something simple